Sign in to follow this  
danutt

e39 3.64 diff wanted

whos got one?haha should come out of a e39 520i, looking to change the one in mine to a slightly higher ratio, from my research its got a 3.15 in there at the moment but will need to hop under it and check properly sometime soon. anyway please PM me if you have a diff of this kind price etc and if youd be interested in a part trade perhaps as the diff i have is good and quiet with no issues thanks

Can do. $100

I'm quite interested in this. Mine also has the 3.15 ratio diff. If I swapped for 3.64 I'd presumably be able to take more advantage of the powerful torque in the M62 and increasd acceleration but lose some top end speed. What other advantages of changing are there and are there and are there other ratios available (was thinking slightly taller e.g. 3.46)?

Anyone got a higher ratio LSD for an E39?

EDIT: I'm guessing an LSD for these is pretty expensive... had a look online and new ones seem to be $1500-2000+, does that sound right?

Edited by jeffbebe

Not sure if the diff's out of the i6 cars can handle the jandle of M62tu torque, but worth a try!

I did wonder that. The custom higher ratio diffs for the 540i are muchos $$$$s!!

you will need to make your diff to suit the v8 .

e39 540i use a larger diff than the 6cylinders , and not many ratio choices , so you get the gears from a older e34 e34 e28 e24 e23 large case diff etc

and get them fitted to your diff as well as fitting a lsd into it .

costs about 200-300 to swap bits around plus the price of the donar diff etc $500-800

can get things

call me if you like