Sign in to follow this  
kingkarl

Squeaky brakes

The e34's brakes are slowly driving me insane. I've inspected all the pads - plenty of life left all around and no obvious debris.

I'm in the process of swapping out the front rotors for some new replacements but I'm pretty sure the sound is coming from the rear. I managed to swap out one of the fronts on the weekend but the head on the grub screw that aligns the other front disc was rounded so that will have to wait

Anyone had any luck with anti squeal compounds etc? I've read a bit about them online but I'm skeptical my problem is caused by caliper/pad vibrations which is what those products are supposed to cure?

Before I got the car it had been garaged for about 6 years. Are the pads/rotors likely to go off in that time frame? The rears do look pretty tired... pictures below are of RR

iw0XG71.jpg

5bw6GO9.jpg

thanks in advance

Are they OEM pads or some cheap aftermarket job? Never had any problems with OEM pads squeeking

Id replace the rotors,give the caliper a good clean, spray anti squeel on backs on pads and under backing plates if you have them and on the metal areas where they contact the caliper.

Pads would have glazed up. pull them out and given them a sand on a flat surface. Will probably happen again if theyre cheapies.

Edges of those pads look burnt too.

by looking at rotors i would suggest you get them measured to find what the thickness is, from my records the front minimum thickness is 20.4 mm and the rears are 8.4 mm .You might be able to have them machined, they look like there might have been a slight heat problem at sometime,I would also replace brake pads if you replace or machine your rotors.

Rip the pads out, & chamfer the leading / trailing edges of the pads......................I'm confident noise will then be gonski............ ;)

My S6 is a bit the same, must have a go at trying the above. A pain that each wheel has 4 pads

Gotta put a half decent chamfer around it though, not a 'girl's attempt' at it, & as always, don't breathe the dust, do at your own risk, do not try this at home, must be done under qualified adult supervision, do not attempt after drinking alcohol, etc etc, yada yada, yawn............ :rolleyes:

Those disks look f**ked to me.

When my brakes squeal its because they are crying for a good work out.

Hire Ronan, watch chase seen, emulate in you car, profit.

• Like 1

Lols at this ^^^^ you're a legend............... :);)

In amongst all we are & aren't gonna do to the brakes on this little beasty, just remember to change the brake fluid (as in a full bleed through ae), as its hydroscopic (Friday, long week, spell check brokered), thus the 6 years its spent sitting around will have seen the brake fluid absorbing water, thus significantly affecting (lowering) its boiling point....... ;)

Cheers guys. Gave the pads a good chamfer which has helped.

There is the occasional squeak when there is no temperature in the rotors but its much improved. Will get around to swapping the rear disks out at some point.

First thing I did when I got the car was change the brake fluid. Made every bit of difference people say it does!