Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Shelly BMW!

I was too young to remember slash wasnt into cars back then, anyone know where Shelly BMW used to be? And what year they were brought out or merged etc to become Jeff Gray BMW?

Or any other info about them?

Cheers,

Andy

I first remember them on Kent Terrace [same location as the gazley dealership is now . old man shelley was a scots college old boy n i remember him donating funds to build a new wing for the school. There are some seriously cool photographs in the school foyer of him racing the likes of Stirling Moss in his privatly entered maserati 250f!!!. I also have some private memories of his son behaving very badly indeed [ it involves the firt ever BMW M.O.T. in maybe bike bought into the country for evaluation this was maybe 1982/83?]

I am sure more will come to mind as i give it some thought.

Maybe more to come maybe

Edited by emac

so must be 2006-2007 they changed, because there is the 2nd gen M6 and also spotted an E90, which both started in 2005 iirc, and i brought my first BMW in March 2008 and they were definitely Jeff Gray by then in Kaiwharawhara.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Shelly's used to look after my fathers Triumph 2500 pi in the 1970s.

I took my e21 323i to them in Wakefield circa 1988 and from memory the showroom was relatively new then.

my old red e39 530sport was sold new from there in 01

Eddy's right. Shelly BMW was in Wakefield St. The bicycle shop was the used car dealership and the bowling ally the new and service centre.

Entry was off Tory st. Next to what's a vehicle service centre now.

My old man used to be a real BMW guy and purchased several through Tony. I remember going with Dad to pick them up.

Shelly BMW was eventually bought out by Geoff Grey and moved to their current location on the old hutt road.

My family purcahsed the Shelly family bach in Taupo in the early 90's when he purchased a large plot of land over Acacia bay way. He built a massive house over there overlooking lake and retired there after selling the dealership. He died not long after the main house was finished but I don't think he ever saw the property as a whole complete.

Not sure what's become of it now.

We still own his old place round Wharewaka way.

Edited by M5V8

My m3 was sold new there and serviced up until 2004...

is Jeff Gray likely to have the service records when it was Shelly? or long gone now?

Jeff Gray ended up with the service records - if you go into any of their branches they will be able to see any history from any JG dealership, & also Shelly BMW. Been there, done that already with my little beast, as it has dealer service history since birth....... ;):)

Did they actually tell you the history? When I rang them to ask about the m3s history they said it was confidential info and had to get each previous owners permission that had it worked on there.

Did they actually tell you the history? When I rang them to ask about the m3s history they said it was confidential info and had to get each previous owners permission that had it worked on there.

not shelley but same reaction when i asked for service history of my old car

Yea, they gave me the history, no hassles. The line you've been fed is a just a cop out IMO - theres no valid reason for them NOT giving you the history so long as they are not giving you any identifying info about previous owners. They're just being d1cks about it............ :rolleyes:

i guess they know there is no way JGBMW is going to make a sale or booking out of it, so why bother

I look at it the other way Andy - if they are queer about things, or hard to get along with, then whats the odds I'll tip money outa my pocket into their dealership 'later on'?? As an eg; Local Mitsi dealer had over 100k outa me in 3 years, on 2 x new utes & servicing, & then they shafted me on some warrenty issues & a $600 bill which a independent 3rd party said 'was their workshops fault'. They then wouldn't 'play the game, or do 'what was right', so vehicle came outa the workshop for the last time @ 11 months old, & went straight onto Trade-me..........."You are the weakest link, Good-bye".

I wouldn't pi$$ on the local Misti dealer's doorstep to warm it up, & I'll never ever own any of their product again........... ;):)

Edited by Blue-540i

I look at it the other way Andy - if they are queer about things, or hard to get along with, then whats the odds I'll tip money outa my pocket into their dealership 'later on'?? As an eg; Local Mitsi dealer had over 100k outa me in 3 years, on 2 x new utes & servicing, & then they shafted me on some warrenty issues & a $600 bill which a independent 3rd party said 'was their workshops fault'. They then wouldn't 'play the game, or do 'what was right', so vehicle came outa the workshop for the last time @ 11 months old, & went straight onto Trade-me..........."You are the weakest link, Good-bye".

I wouldn't pi$$ on the local Misti dealer's doorstep to warm it up, & I'll never ever own any of their product again........... ;):)

I had a mitsi..................................................................................................once

Great post and so true. I had a similar (non car example). My business was spending 20-25K per month with Telecom. My son put my wife's mobile through the washing machine and when I asked Telecom for a replacement they said her usage didn't justify a free replacement, even though her phone was on my work account.

Long story short, Vodafone picked up a big client (250-300K PA) and my wife got a free phone.. Telecom begged and tried to get us back, but their initial attitude was so bad I said never again. The simple things eh........

• Like 1

Had a lovely old E28 525ee which was sold new by Shelly BMW.

525eeLHfrontquarter.jpg

shellyBMWsticker.jpg

As far as I know she's still going strong with her current owner, and has now done over 300,000 kms.