Sign in to follow this  
gjm

E46 Touring - what fits? (And what doesn't?)

I was watching the staggered MM-Sport rims recently on TradeMe, and had asked if they were genuine. While doing my due diligence and checking that they'd fit the Touring (I was pretty sure they would, but wanted to be certain before coughing up $00s) someone else snuck in and bought them. How dare they? ;-)

In order to avoid something similar happening in the future, I'd like to get a grasp on what works on an E46 Touring, and what doesn't.

I've related elsewhere how my car 'fidgets' on the road, often needing very minor steering inputs. A little research suggests the E46 is particularly prone to this, and any number of factors can cause it to happen. Tyres (type, style, manufacturer, load rating, profile and size), rim offset, alignment (not just wheels but suspension too), front lower wishbone rear bushes, shock absorbers, and even im diameter seem to be a factor.

My car runs the 'standard' 16" rims with 205/55-16 tyres - I think the rims are Style 45 16x7 et47. I understand the differences offsets and a change in rim width can make, but not the limits of changes tat can be made. Presumably a 17x8 et15 with 225/45-17s isn't going to work as while it'll clear suspension and brake components, the outer edge will sit 42mm further 'out' from the car. Don't think there is quite room under there to accommodate that!

If I am going to increase the size of the rims, it'll probably only be to 17s. These seem to give the best compromise between ride, handling and comfort, and (hopefully) won't make my car, with standard non-sports suspension and no lowering, look like it's standing on tip-toes too much.

Suggestions and advice, pretty please!

OK... Found this. http://www.sycamoreservice.co.uk/BMW-e46_wheels_tyres.html (There is an equivalent page for E39s.)

Sadly, and in light of missing the 68s on TradeMe, it looks from this as though they would have fitted without any problem.

They cite 'technically possible' wheel and tyre combinations but I think they are referring to BMW OEM size and offset rims, so it may not be a truly comprehensive resource, but it is a good start. All ETs listed (for alloy rims) are in the high 40s, suggesting much less than that will need further investigation and/or check fitting.

There are stickied posts on this topic that should answer any Q's you have, i think offset for e46's are generally mid 30's to low 40's!

Edited by cliffdunedin

If you want a good flush fitment go 20 or less. And 17s may look small on an e46. Just google images for them until you find something you like and fns out wht they're running

• Like 1

If you want a good flush fitment go 20 or less. And 17s may look small on an e46. Just google images for them until you find something you like and fns out wht they're running

20? Really? Surely with an 8" rim that's going to cause some rubbing, if not poke out the side of the arch?

That said, I've not tried it. Or even put a straight edge across the arch and measured back to the rim edge to see what might be possible. I'll be doing that.

Most rims quoted for fitting to an E46 seem to be in the et40-47 range. E36 rims may be a little lower, but not so much as to discount them from fitting the E46. I think E90 rims would suit, as would X3 (although they may be heavier).

Found this while browsing the net, looking for some info and idea... (It's OK - nothing dodgy!) Made me laugh, though, while admiring one persons tenacity.

OK. Back to the topic.

Bearing in mind my car is a Touring and not a Coupe or an M3, which makes quite a difference to the amount of space available under the standard arches, how have others found comparisons between 17 and 18" rims on their cars generally, and E46s specifically? Does ride suffer, or do you experience tramlining, thumping or anything else? What is stability like, in the dry and in the wet?

I may go for 18s now if I find the 'right' set, but the car would probably look a little odd wearing 18s without a change of suspension. 17s may look a little small but this isn't just about looks - it is about practicality, suitability and comfort, too. Suspension change may come later but unless it fails a WoF or other problems become evident, it is wa-a-ay down the list of jobs to do.

Suitability? I'm talking about the effect a significant change of offset will have on the scrub radius. Given this is a daily driver, and for about 250km per day, I want to keep things comfortable. Kiwi roads aren't billiard-table smooth, and the rain we get here can cause all sorts of puddles (and small lakes) on SH1. Having raced a (European) Ford Capri Mk2, I know how it feels to come over some bumps, in the rain, while on the brakes and turning in, only to find the steering wheel is fighting to do it's own thing rather than what I want it to. OK - that's extreme (and we did have huge arches to cover huge rubber) but the principle doesn't change.

And my wife will be driving the car too. :-)

Of course, suspension changes affect the scrub radius, too.

I know there is a lot of suck it and see about rims and tyres, but other peoples experiences may help me to make a better decision, sooner.

Given the kms ya do, & what you say you're wanting - I'd be going 17's over 18's personally........... ;) Actually, thinking about it, that's what I ended up getting for my car, even though 18's 'look better' in some aspects. I did lots of research first, asked a few questions, & am happy overall with the outcome. (Having said that, if money was no object, I'd probably have 3 or 4 sets of rims / tyres sitting in the shed for it...........) :rolleyes::)

My coupe had 17's on it & i drove another with 19's. Mine was a nice comfortable ride, the 19's made an identical car truly unpleasant & like riding a skateboard in a quarry. 18's maybe better, but personally i'd stick wth the 17's & put some good tyres on it. I suspect 17" tyres are cheaper as well.

Think the E36 offset was pretty close to the E46, but the E90 is lower

Edited by elmarco