Sign in to follow this  
Joost

Oil level sensor light

Hi Guys,

Just had my Bimmer for 6 weeks and notice that when I start it up the yellow oil sensor light comes on when I start driving. It stays on for about 15 seconds and then flicks off. I've checked the oil level and its three quarters full. It sounds like a broken oil level sensor to me, Do you guys concur? Is it worthwhile replacing it? Car has just been serviced and its only used as a weekend driver

Appreciate your feddback

Cheers

J

Sounds just like mine.

Yellow (I think) indicates the sensor is duff, or perhaps not working correctly. Of course, there is something in the engine bay called a dipstick which can be used.

Change it out when you next change the oil. If your car has a few miles on it, get a sump gasket too, and drop the oil, remove the sump, clean, replace sensor (with new O-ring; genuine BMW ones have an O-ring, as do Hella, but the Meyle ones might not) and refit. Carefully. Don't overtighten the sump bolts.

Thanks Guys,

Have been checking the oil level weekly and it seems fine- not full but no noticeable change in level. I do check it when engine at operating temp as per manual recommendations

My 2c...

Remember that the oil light / sensor actually measures oil pressure, hence if it lights up it should be checked and rectified immediately to avoid larger issues.

My 2c...

Remember that the oil light / sensor actually measures oil pressure, hence if it lights up it should be checked and rectified immediately to avoid larger issues.

No it doesn't on a E46... Orange oil can is oil level.... Red oil can is no oil pressure

No it doesn't on a E46... Orange oil can is oil level.... Red oil can is no oil pressure

Thanks - learnt something new today. Stuck in the 80's.

Edited by C-130 Hercules

Thanks - learnt something new today. Stuck in the 80's.

Yup - the 15 seconds of orange oil light after starting the engine refers specifically to the sensor failing, or having failed.

At other times, an orange oil light indicates low oil.

A red oil light, at any time, indicates low or no oil pressure. This is measured by a completely different sensor system.

Think of the in-sump sensor as an inverted dipstick. All it does is check there is oil present. Yes - it is a good idea to get it sorted, but provided you check your oil level regularly in the traditional way (just like you would on any car) then you're unlikely to have a problem.