Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

My Review - New Corolla for a week

Just had a brand new corolla for week, its a petrol, don't know if they have a diesel??

so thought id just do a quick little review in case your mom, wife or gf looking at buying one.

What i liked:

• Bootspace - for a hatch back, was very surprised at the size, fitted two large cases and other gear etc in the back easily.
  • Interior - Quality and design I was very impressed with, i know Corolla have gone a wee bit more upmarket because of the Yaris at one end, and the likes of Golf at the other, it has to slot in.
  • Exterior design - definatley away from the conservative style they have been for many many years.
  • Well built feel - doors thumped "like a BMW", feeling of safety
  • OBC read out 6.4L/100km over the time i had it, i was driving pretty sedately most of the time except over the Crown Range

What could be better, but expect in this car as I'm not the target market i guess

• Automatic gearbox - an auto is nice, but this seemed to act like a CVT more than an Auto.
  • Steering - very light, no feedback
  • Performance - lacked power on open road, overtook one vehicle didn't trust the car to do it again.

What I didn't like

• Visibility - I'm 6'3", so on the tall side, but rear view mirror feels like its right in front of your face. Enormous B-Pillars and a tiny rear window also don't help, and even I couldn't see the bonnet of the car, so parking was a bit of a bitch. This alone made it feel unsafe and defiantly wouldn't buy. Person i was with is about 5'9" at a guess, and they didn't find it any better.
  • No temperature gauge
  • Car seemed very overweight for what it was

hope this helps!

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Thanks for the heads up but you are spoiled driving that v12 beast :D Hope you enjoyed the Southern hospitality?.

Thanks for the heads up but you are spoiled driving that v12 beast :D Hope you enjoyed the Southern hospitality?.

I have forgotten how it drives, she hasn't been started or seen the tarmac for about 4 or 5 months now, just gets rolled to shift the weight on the tyres every couple weeks or so. 2 and a half weeks till i move into my new place and she can come out of storage!!

Maybe you should have looked after it for me

Seems a lot of new cars have no temp gauge, Honda Jazz has a cold or hot light, pretty much all BMW from e87 onwards has none (probably a warning message when it boils).

I do agree on the dead steering feel, seems to be a trademark on Toyota and probably anything with electric power steering.

It is a CVT, not an auto. Would explain the perceived lack of performance too, they never seem to deliver.

I was driving a 2013 corolla for a week or so about a month back. Had about 300ks on the clock. Mine was a 6 speed manual which i have to say was very good. However dynamically it felt quite big and heavy when driving. Small car - easy to park, However lots of space inside - although i too am 6ft 5 and have the seat in a position where you would have to have no legs to fit in the back. Took it for a thrash over the paekakariki hill road (as you do) and it handles not too bad though the corners.

Apart from being a bit heavy feeling i felt it was a pretty good car, handled well and cruised well on the mway with plenty of space for all my crap. Not a bad car, would buy if i wanted something boring and fuel efficient.

I was driving a 2013 corolla for a week or so about a month back. Had about 300ks on the clock. Mine was a 6 speed manual which i have to say was very good. However dynamically it felt quite big and heavy when driving. Small car - easy to park, However lots of space inside - although i too am 6ft 5 and have the seat in a position where you would have to have no legs to fit in the back. Took it for a thrash over the paekakariki hill road (as you do) and it handles not too bad though the corners.

Apart from being a bit heavy feeling i felt it was a pretty good car, handled well and cruised well on the mway with plenty of space for all my crap. Not a bad car, would buy if i wanted something boring and fuel efficient.

did you find the rear view mirror constantly felt like it was in front of your face.

I know i daily a hiace with a massive windscreen so I'm used to that, but still

did you find the rear view mirror constantly felt like it was in front of your face.

I know i daily a hiace with a massive windscreen so I'm used to that, but still

Hmmm cant say i noticed. I drove a 2011 Corolla wagon [cvt] daily as a work car last year, so kinda used to them.

nsIAdEzl.jpg

Have to say though, looked pretty ordinary in white. See them round in the blue and that looks ok. Not sure if i'm a fan of the new front end.

Just had a brand new corolla for week, its a petrol, don't know if they have a diesel??

so thought id just do a quick little review in case your mom, wife or gf looking at buying one.

What i liked:

• Bootspace - for a hatch back, was very surprised at the size, fitted two large cases and other gear etc in the back easily.
  • Interior - Quality and design I was very impressed with, i know Corolla have gone a wee bit more upmarket because of the Yaris at one end, and the likes of Golf at the other, it has to slot in.
  • Exterior design - definatley away from the conservative style they have been for many many years.
  • Well built feel - doors thumped "like a BMW", feeling of safety
  • OBC read out 6.4L/100km over the time i had it, i was driving pretty sedately most of the time except over the Crown Range

What could be better, but expect in this car as I'm not the target market i guess

• Automatic gearbox - an auto is nice, but this seemed to act like a CVT more than an Auto.
  • Steering - very light, no feedback
  • Performance - lacked power on open road, overtook one vehicle didn't trust the car to do it again.

What I didn't like

• Visibility - I'm 6'3", so on the tall side, but rear view mirror feels like its right in front of your face. Enormous B-Pillars and a tiny rear window also don't help, and even I couldn't see the bonnet of the car, so parking was a bit of a bitch. This alone made it feel unsafe and defiantly wouldn't buy. Person i was with is about 5'9" at a guess, and they didn't find it any better.
  • No temperature gauge
  • Car seemed very overweight for what it was

hope this helps!

One more thing. The stereo was amazing for a "cheap car" stock system. Very impressed.