Sign in to follow this  
Allanw

Car seat fitting idea - legality etc?

We purchased the E39 as a pre-people mover, real car. We've only got 2 kids - 3.5 and 1.5, but there isn't a lot of room for a 3rd childseat (not yet expected, but may happen one day).

SO:

Is there any reason why I can't remove the rear seat base and back, and make flat panels (vinyl covered ply or similar) with box section brackets/strengthening etc to mount them, then leave the original seat belts in for mounting the seats? Or are you allowed to use old fashioned belts (manually adjusted) to strap them in (FAR easier than retractable belts)?

This would give the full width of the rear seat by removing the side bolsters (and saves the leather ;)!) It would also move the car seats further back to make access for the centre child easier.

We never use the rear seats for adults, because the childseats are too difficult to get out and put back - If we are taking people, we use our old VW van, with 8 seats. I guess in a real emergency, someone could sit (uncomfortably) on the rear "bench".

Any WOF issues or similar anyone knows of. I can ask my WOF guy next time I'm in, but I might start on this soon, if it's feasible.

Cheers guys.

Hmm, I can see where you're coming from with this. In theory, so long as you're using the original seat belts, the vehicle has no airbags aft of the B pillar, & any child restraint 'bolts' go into approved areas, I can't see a reason why you'd have hassles with it personally. As you mention, best to hit up your WOF guy though. Tis a good idea though.....

Pretty sure you're gonna need a cert for work involving seatbelts ect. Best talk to your friendly local certifier I'd think.

I'm hoping there will be no seatbelt changes (unless the manual ones can be fitted without certs etc). It's only got the 6 front air bags, so already "kiddie safe".

I have 3 tethers mounted in the factory parcel shelf mounts already, and it's not a folding rear seat.

I reckon all I'm really doing is replacing the leather covered chunks of foam with a thinner unpadded version B) all the safety mounts should be used as normal.

I reckon I might be able to gain 150mm of usable width across the rear.

It might save me from having to buy a people mover or a Dunnydore for a while.

.It might save me from having to buy a people mover or a Dunnydore for a while.

Much like a 2nd mother-in-law, both these things should be avoided if possible............ ;)

Allan,

You can get 3 car seats across the back of an E39.

Just choose your car seats carefully, we went for the Graco which covers from 9 months up to 9-10 years or 36kg

Hmmm... I already got 2 random seats - It didn't look like 3 would fit, but I could try it. I think now they have to be in a seat until 7 - not sure how that will work for my 3.5 year old - he's a little muscleman, but is also so tall that people ask him what school he's at :lol: ... He's the same height and weight as his 9 year old cousin! (she's a dainty wee thing though).

Without the seatback (at least) the seats could move back and give a bit more space.

I think one day when I'm bored, I might whip the seat out and take some real measurements, and see what there is to gain.

Cheers.

From the LVVTA

Can I remove my rear seats from my vehicle?
Yes, however to pass a WoF the seatbelts will also need to be removed from the vehicle

So here's what I reckon, you're removing standard seats and replacing with other. Modifyed seat mountings need certifying, so I think that's where the cert comes into it.

I know this isn't exactly what you're trying to achieve, which is why I reckon you need a chat with a certifier.

• Like 1

Good find Westy............... ;)

(Ironic in some ways, as I'd heard 'westies' rip out back seats & use empty pi$$ crates instead.........) :)

Long as we remove the seat belts too!

They catch on 'er legs...

I'm hoping there will be no seatbelt changes (unless the manual ones can be fitted without certs etc). It's only got the 6 front air bags, so already "kiddie safe".

I have 3 tethers mounted in the factory parcel shelf mounts already, and it's not a folding rear seat.

I reckon all I'm really doing is replacing the leather covered chunks of foam with a thinner unpadded version B) all the safety mounts should be used as normal.

I reckon I might be able to gain 150mm of usable width across the rear.

It might save me from having to buy a people mover or a Dunnydore for a while.

Also, are you sure it doesn't have air bags in the rear doors & roof pillars? 2000> E39's generally had 10 air bags fitted. That said - I don't know if all did:-

Probably easier to re-buy all 3 car-seats that will fit when your 3rd child comes along. Just make sure the width of the car seat is less than 20" for each and all of them (tough to find but they are out there, import from Europe if you have to, probably cheaper too).

Where are you going to store the pram, the shopping and the rest of the baby paraphernalia?? Roofbox?

I only got 1 child, 1 car seat and a single pram. At times I had to scratch my head as to where to put my shopping in my E90.

Edited by SpikeyLemon

Only 6 airbags in our E39 (none in the back anyway - looked at retrofitting for later though :blink: )

As it turns out, I already have a Graco Junior Maxi - not sure when they're allowed in it though:

1239887653-88013600.jpg

long trips and holidays are easy - they're usually in the Kombi (which would actually fit 4 wide if there were belts for it! on the rear two rows)

Changing seats sounds like the sensible Idea, but I'm not always sensible :ph34r:

but I'm not always sensible :ph34r:

+1

When i did it in the honda it was no problem, but because you have back doors i think you will have trouble. Talk to the cert guy up there, see what he says.

If you remove the rear seatbelts you are supposed to make it permenant, i.e. weld up the holes!!

Here's an option - multimac car seats for bmw

post-4006-0-45857100-1385105505.jpg

post-4006-0-03877800-1385105579.jpg

Edited by mjh

+1

When i did it in the honda it was no problem, but because you have back doors i think you will have trouble. Talk to the cert guy up there, see what he says.

If you remove the rear seatbelts you are supposed to make it permenant, i.e. weld up the holes!!

I called Shane Speight, but he was away - forgot to call today :rolleyes: went home early and spend all afternoon sweating, and bolting things onto the "A".

Looks very similar to what we had, but only remember the twins having 1 seat after they came out of capsules- Graco site says from 15kg upwards we also had a mix of seats to start with.

There may be another on in between, I haevn't looked that hard yet.... weirdly enough, the one we have was given to me by aja540i :D

Here's an option - multimac car seats for bmw

Yeah... that's just weird - at some stage, they're going to need a bigger car! I don't think they'll get 4 big kids in there! If we get to 4, I'll have to get serious about the Unicorn hunting - nice, manual, people mover... which would probably just end up being another (later) VW transporter, or mine with a 3.0 Subaru upgrade.