Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Computer infections

What virus & spam protection is the best out there ? I got hit with the Yahoo xtra problem on Monday night and now all my emails have an attached virus which I'm hoping to get rid of today. I've been using AVG & Adaware

Edited by *Glenn*

I got this :

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/9472391/Email-raid-sparks-call-to-dump-Yahoo

Have sorted my password and can now receive & send emails, but my emails all have an attached virus. If I send an attachment, my computer sends 2 , 1 is a virus. Send 2 attachments it sends 4

So far AVG has picked up 3 virus's and Adaware 3...and they are still running. 2.5hrs now

Edited by *Glenn*

I got hit with that too, I do not have the auto virus attachment problem you have though. I'm guessing you clicked on one of the spam links?

Personally in terms of free protection I use Avast antivirus and malwarebytes for malware, I ditched avg a couple of years ago.

I'm using Outlook

Haven't clicked on any links

MSSE will be my next stop after finishing AVG & Ad-aware

I'm running XP... have to use XP for our vehicle data

I've been waiting for 17hrs for a reply from Yahoo Xtra and I waited on hold for 2 hrs yesterday

Edited by *Glenn*

+1 for what Dave's said. Solid advice.

If you can get your AV to identify the infection this is half the battle. As you can then research it & better understand it's capabilities, install locations, reg keys and file names.

Edited by M5V8
  • Like 1

before you run MSSE AV - clean boot (msconfig) it, to stop as many non essential, non MS services & software starting. This will improve you chances of removal.

• Like 1

Thanx for your help Dave.

The problem is not duplicating the emails, it's adding extra attachments which are coming up as a threat to my emails.

I have also had booting problems since Monday as well. I've had to reboot a couple of times before it will open after the original "welcome" message

"I have also had booting problems since Monday as well. I've had to reboot a couple of times before it will open after the original "welcome" message"

This is concerning. Could be just XP struggling with the extra load of the virus. Could also mean the bootstrap files have been infected.

Glenn. First Step. Backup data.

Edited by M5V8

Take the computer offline too, remove it from any network connection to other devices / internet.

"I have also had booting problems since Monday as well. I've had to reboot a couple of times before it will open after the original "welcome" message"

This is concerning. Could be just XP struggling with the extra load of the virus. Could also mean the bootstrap files have been infected.

Glenn. First Step. Backup data.

Yep, sounds like windows is due for a re-install. You could spend hours on chasing this virus down. I would admit defeat, backup what you can. Format your disk partition(s) and re-install windows.

"Don't throw away a good engine just because you can't see the strange noise."

Too drastic at this stage. We need to establish whether the computer is recoverable first and I bet it is.

I hope so... so much diagnostic and info data on here. My accounting software is backed up every night though

AVG has picked up

X 2 Trojan infections

X 2 Spyware

X 1 Warning

X2 Information

Ada-ware is still running

Edited by *Glenn*

get more details on the spyware and trojan infections. If it can detect them, it has a definition for them. that means a AV lab has identified and will have published details of it online. Sometimes with removal steps or best programs to use to clean.

also secondary (online) scan by trendmicro:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/au/

Edited by M5V8

post-1129-0-14925700-1386196452_thumb.jp

I've had 3 of these today

I've got an IT tech coming at 1.00pm

Dave's right. virus's like to hide in there. You need to turn off system restore before you can delete.

You only loose you restore points. No biggie.

All sorted now :D

Thanx for all the input guys... much appreciated

Going to do mirror imaging on an external hard drive of all my computers now to take away the risk of loosing my info and tech documents

• Like 1

excellent result Glenn. & a good idea.

All sorted now :D

Thanx for all the input guys... much appreciated

Going to do mirror imaging on an external hard drive of all my computers now to take away the risk of loosing my info and tech documents

never ceeses to amaze me how many people have important work files,databases etc on their laptops and then let their kids play games on them where they are download ing all sorts of crap mp3s torrents and visit targeted sites and keep getting infected.They are always sorry and say I'm never going to do that again and then always do.Work is work,why expose yourself to the risk,I realise you got hammered by an email which is not your fault but my advice would be to start again properly,divide your harddrive into 2 partitions and have xp with the logging program or whatever on,Do not use this for internet ever.No emails nothing, Xp is just too full of holes and why take the unnecessary risk with import work files and systems.And why suffer day to day on a prehistoric OS because of one program

rather run a full os like windows 7 or 8 on another partition and use this for all your day to day stuff,internet and emails,and just choose which system to boot up when you turn it on.

this also means you can keep a backup image of each system for quick restores.

Or buy a cheap 2nd hand machine and xp system on that,

Quicker option again is to build a win 7 or 8 system and run xp in a virtual system inside that,is quicker to switch between if your in and out of the 2 systems multiple times during the day but I couldn't guarantee that a virus wouldn't pass between the 2 and it would take longer to get up and running again if things went xmas.

I've been using & selling ESET NOD32 for about 6 years now, it's a country mile better than most as it doesn't strangle your machine & actually does work well. Based in Auckland as a subsidiary. I use it in corporate environments such as schools, kindy's, one hospital I do work for & home use. If you like Glenn, I can do it for you at my cost, supply you a link for download, and give you a registration key, pretty straight forward.

That's a great offer thanx Clinton...PM your phone # and I'll give you a call