Sign in to follow this  
Haitoman

E46 M3 on Gull 98

This car looks really nice (and expensive)...BUT...the seller states that he has always run it on Gull 98. Now I am led to believe that ethanol mix fuels are not recommended for the e46 M3, or indeed for any pre-2006 cars. Does anyone know anything about the effects (good or bad) of running the e46 M3 on Gull 98?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-679474028.htm

Fallacy, mate.

“E10 fuels can safely be used in all BMW passenger cars from any model year. Irrespective of the ethanol content, however, the minimum octane rating as specified in the user manual must be observed as before, since some older BMW models require Super Plus RON 98 to reduce knock,” says the German auto maker. “All oil-change intervals as prescribed by us remain unchanged, irrespective of the use of E10 fuel.”

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/bmw-cars-can-cope-with-e10-fuel-32393.html

It's fine on force 10.

There are guys in Brazil running E100 (i.e 100% ethanol) on these engines without issues (modification required on injector and tune)

Debatable about power gain ... But most likely worse mileage.

Edited by M3_Power

Quite a noticeable jump on the ST HiTech dyno between BP98 and Force 10. They tested it and got nearly a 10rwkw gain on a 200rwkw car. Tuned to the fuel of course.

sh*t thing is that the fuel is not common outside of Auckland. Not all Gulls have it. And not every town has a Gull.

Edited by driftit

Bio-ethanol can act as a cleaning agent for certain metal components I believe but is corrosive to rubber and plastic components (e.g injector seals). 10% ethanol won't be a big drama in 95 or 98 for most bimmers though. I use BP 98 which doesn't contain any ethanol.

I stay with BP 98 for V8 e39.runs great.I can say it better than mobile 98.

In a road car. You won't notice any difference between the two. There would have to be something wrong with the fuel for you to notice.

I would only choose Mobile over BP due to the min octain rating. BP can drop pretty low and I have experienced it on a few occasions.

But even then I had a high compression turbo car and a knock sensor for indication of detonation increase.

In a road car. You won't notice any difference between the two. There would have to be something wrong with the fuel for you to notice.

I would only choose Mobile over BP due to the min octain rating. BP can drop pretty low and I have experienced it on a few occasions.

But even then I had a high compression turbo car and a knock sensor for indication of detonation increase.

I've never seen a Mobil selling 98. The ones near me don't as far as I can tell. There is a Gull nearby. Maybe I'll try a bit of Force 10 for a while.

It is the Purple pump handles. Called Synergy 8000.

I've never seen a Mobil selling 98. The ones near me don't as far as I can tell. There is a Gull nearby. Maybe I'll try a bit of Force 10 for a while.

Mobil Pt Chev.

I had convinced myself that my M3 ran better on 98, brought 3 x 20 litre fuel cans and filled up when ever I was out of town, turned out my soleniod pack was faulty, now (logically) can't see anything between 95 and 98