Sign in to follow this  
yng_750

e39 540i rotors vs m5 rotors

anyone know the difference between m5 and standard 540i rotors, ive looked them up at work and the only measurment its showing different if the minimum thickness when worn, normal sizes are all the same but they have different part numbers, m5 ones are available slotted so if they are the same i might go for them instead of standard 540i rotors.

thanks

Are you talking front or rear rotors? I looked at it awhile ago. If i remember the M5 front rotors were only like 1 or 2mm wider and only 2-3mm thicker The rears were bigger(20-25mm iirc) but same diameter.

Rears might be worth it on the track.

I have a pair of e39 M5 rotors in boxes. The dimensions are 345 X 32 (min 30.4) and left and right have different part numbers. These are floating rotors with aluminum top hats.

The boxes say "For Euro M5 - can be used on US M5". I think the US M5 just had one peice rotors but I guess dimensions on US M5 must be the same if they can be used.

I don't know if e39 540i uses same dimensions but some playing around on realoem tells me 324 X 30 for some random made up build date. Maybe they changed over time - don't know and haven't experimented. Perhaps try putting your own VIN in realoem and see what it comes up with.

I can bring one of the M5 rotors to you to look at if you want, but I prefer to leave it wrapped in the plastic until I install it.

99% certain M5 rotors don't fit but would love to be proved wrong so I could get some!

the m5 rotors seemed to cheap. maybe they were just the outside of the floating setup. might ring supplier monday and get one out of a box. us m5 didnt have floating rotors

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Seems my memory was fairly correct. US spec data one but same rotor dimensions it seems.

540i brakes:
Front 324mm x 30mm 1-piece vented rotors
Rear 298mm x 20mm 1-piece vented rotors

M5 Brakes:
Front 345mm x 32mm 1-piece vented rotors
Rear 328mm x 20mm 1-piece vented rotors

Appears M5 1 piece fronts cost sightly more than 540i OEM fronts at $140NZD each which isn't expected, but OEM Floating front rotors are $300NZD each. These are overseas prices.

You need M5 calipers and carriers to fit M5 rotors. I can't see any reason to have front M5 rotors on 540i.