Sign in to follow this  
MoJoJoe

shipping a car within north island?

hey guys, has anybody got any experience with shipping companies. I remember reading a while back somebody was in the shipping business. I am currently having a hard time to get somebody to tag along with me if I bought a car from Hamilton or down north around Palmey or Welly. Most of my friends are still out. So was thinking to have a shipping company bring it to me. anybody got and recommendations, an idea how much it might cost within north island? lets say welly/palmey/waikato to whangarei?

winner gets like 2 points :D

Edited by MoJoJoe

I've not used anyone.

However, I have seen quotes for 'Captain Transporter' for shipping a car from Bay of Plenty around the country:

Whangarei $465 + GST
Auckland $211 + GST
Hamilton $149 + GST
Taupo $188 + GST
Napier $326 + GST
Palmerston North $326 + GST
Wellington $350 + GST
Christchurch $722 + GST
Dunedin $969 + GST

Hopefully it gives you an idea of costs.

• Like 1

Thanks Bro, yea, that gives me an idea. So around $500 to get it down here, sounds a bit expensive since itt was only $700 to get one from chch a few years back. Bougfht it eithout looking and turned out it had rust issues and other paint damage that was "overlooked" by the seller. It was around the quake so I swallowed it and took the hit. <_<

anybody else have any exprience/info about car transporters around northisland?

Brian Roberts Towing, Papakura I think?? Have used them a few times to drag treasures around - I'd recommend them no worries, & have always been well priced. Or, just bjuy a plane ticket & some fuel & drive it back........I've done that a few times too.

• Like 1

Or maybe they ^^^^^^ based at Pukekoe...........???

Yup.

Or even Pukekohe. ;)

• Like 1

Brian Roberts Towing, Papakura I think?? Have used them a few times to drag treasures around - I'd recommend them no worries, & have always been well priced. Or, just bjuy a plane ticket & some fuel & drive it back........I've done that a few times too.

Okay thanks blue, let me see if I could get somebody to have a look at it for me. maybe if everything checks out I will take it and when it dies I can swap the engine out with a ..... something better with the savings I made :D

Yup.

Or even Pukekohe. ;)

Pukekohe, pretty sure I know that place from a auckland visit. ;)

Either Captain Transporter, or Pete's towing.

It's always way cheaper to get it shipped to Auckland, and get the bus down to get it from a mate's place or somehing.

Captain Transporter did our Model A, and Pete's bring it up the last bit anyway, and I collected it from their depot. I seem to recal it being about $500 from Feilding to Whangarei.

• Like 1

Okay thanks blue, let me see if I could get somebody to have a look at it for me. maybe if everything checks out I will take it and when it dies I can swap the engine out with a ..... something better with the savings I made :D

Good plan.

Sorry - can't help with New Plymouth. Nearest I can get is Wanganui, and that's hardly local.

• Like 1

I've used captain transporter, and had pretty good service. Called to check on status of my car and got a call back both from them, and from their contractor within 5mins. I paid about $480 or so from Porirua to Hamilton.

Oh yeah, I bought 8 of the last 10 cars I've bought, sight-unseen. Never had anything unexpected happen. If you're looking at the right cars with expectations matching the price, and the sellers have an OK attitude, they seem to work out fine. Even the Model A! Now 85 years old, and better than we expected!

One of them was a 1995 Subaru Impreza with 288,000 kms - the thing was stunning. When I arrived to pick it up I was surprised that there'd be two red ones the same there..... but there was only the one - looked like it could have done only 88K! serves us well until 325K, and only sold because the back seat was too small (for the kids to fit in... not for making them).

• Like 1

+1 to what Bue-540 said. Flying to pick up the car and driving it back is way more enjoyable, is usually cheaper and you get find out all the things that need fixing on it too.

• Like 1

I used Captain Transporter to get my car from North Shore to ChCh. A bit of a test for them ? You bet. They turned up at the vendor`s place without notice, luckily they were home but the battery was flat. The website clearly stated that they would contact the seller to arrange pickup.The vendor rang me at work, he had my money but was annoyed that he couldn`t get the car ready or charge the battery.I thought it might be best to change the delivery to my mechanic in ChCh rather than my place. It took 6 days, and when I rang them in Auckland twice I got the distinct impression they didn`t really know where the car was.

On the due day I turned up at Victoria Street motors after work and it wasn`t there. Sure enough they ( NZ Express) had dropped it off at my place. Trouble is, I live in a block of flats, and the silly buggers had rolled it into the wrong park. And it wouldn`t start.I had to take the next morning off to get it towed to Vic motors and check the battery. ( Got a new one ). However the car was filthy so I didnt take it to work.

The funny thing was, the lady at Captain Transporter was ok, but it was obvious they were just brokers, at no stage was I told NZ Express were carrying the car. Wouldn`t do it again, I`m in the freight business and I wouldn`t have let the carrying company near my car if I`d known about it.

hey guys, has anybody got any experience with shipping companies. I remember reading a while back somebody was in the shipping business. I am currently having a hard time to get somebody to tag along with me if I bought a car from Hamilton or down north around Palmey or Welly. Most of my friends are still out. So was thinking to have a shipping company bring it to me. anybody got and recommendations, an idea how much it might cost within north island? lets say welly/palmey/waikato to whangarei?

winner gets like 2 points :D

If you're in the toy section of Trademe again this week, probably $7 Postshop bubble-wrap bag should cover it, depending what scale it is...... ;):)

• Like 2

Oh No...JUST GOT HOME FROM WORK...just realised I`m trapped in a thread again !!! At least Blue`s here but boy...this is deja vue ( all over again..)

• Like 1

Sweet, thanks guys, I think I'm gonna do what blue said

:rolleyes: or maybe if the costs come close then I'll see if i can get captain or jeffs to bring it down to me.

Oh yeah, I bought 8 of the last 10 cars I've bought, sight-unseen. Never had anything unexpected happen. If you're looking at the right cars with expectations matching the price, and the sellers have an OK attitude, they seem to work out fine. Even the Model A! Now 85 years old, and better than we expected!

One of them was a 1995 Subaru Impreza with 288,000 kms - the thing was stunning. When I arrived to pick it up I was surprised that there'd be two red ones the same there..... but there was only the one - looked like it could have done only 88K! serves us well until 325K, and only sold because the back seat was too small (for the kids to fit in... not for making them).

okay, gotcha, let me see how it goes...hmm...impreza, I got a one of those, friends duped into buying one, thought I'd get one since almost everyone here seems to have a wagon or a truck, I call it the pussy wagon (no not because you can lay the back seats to tame chicks, I am sure the 5 series with heated seats gives a better exprience) its because its damn guttless. but sure as hell is reliable. keeps going and going and going. I love the sound of the boxer engine too, although friend (nissan guy) thinks its gay. :)

Poor car, I haven't maintained it since I hate it so much. :(

Oh No...JUST GOT HOME FROM WORK...just realised I`m trapped in a thread again !!! At least Blue`s here but boy...this is deja vue ( all over again..)

I used Captain Transporter to get my car from North Shore to ChCh. A bit of a test for them ? You bet. They turned up at the vendor`s place without notice, luckily they were home but the battery was flat. The website clearly stated that they would contact the seller to arrange pickup.The vendor rang me at work, he had my money but was annoyed that he couldn`t get the car ready or charge the battery.I thought it might be best to change the delivery to my mechanic in ChCh rather than my place. It took 6 days, and when I rang them in Auckland twice I got the distinct impression they didn`t really know where the car was.

On the due day I turned up at Victoria Street motors after work and it wasn`t there. Sure enough they ( NZ Express) had dropped it off at my place. Trouble is, I live in a block of flats, and the silly buggers had rolled it into the wrong park. And it wouldn`t start.I had to take the next morning off to get it towed to Vic motors and check the battery. ( Got a new one ). However the car was filthy so I didnt take it to work.

The funny thing was, the lady at Captain Transporter was ok, but it was obvious they were just brokers, at no stage was I told NZ Express were carrying the car. Wouldn`t do it again, I`m in the freight business and I wouldn`t have let the carrying company near my car if I`d known about it.

:wacko::blink::huh:

Ya know...that ya know that...

ya know that really puts me off CrapTin, i remember you saying you were in the shipping business, know somebody else that I may try? have you tried jeffs? hows mainfright depot to depot? are they any cheaper? I dealth with mainfright before, were pretty good guys, waited and held my stuff for weeks before I thinkI got time to pop into their office and grab them right away.

Edited by MoJoJoe

Mainfreight...I work for Freightways and we have a strategic alliance with them because we don`t compete. I was gutted when I found out NZ Express got their hands on my car. I figure Captain Transporter got nearly $200 bucks off me for doing nothing.

Good luck Mojoe.