Sign in to follow this  
philwalter

Exhaust recomendations in Auckland

I need some exhaust work done. Has anyone got any recent pointers on good places to go in Auckland other than Woolf - I allready know they are pretty decent, pricey tho. Thanks

Done well with Woolf although he wasn't the most pleasant character to deal with second time round.

• Like 1

A mate got an exhaust done at Woolf, I was shocked at the price they charged considering the basic setup and poor sound due to the cheap mufflers/resonators they supplied out of their inventory.

$1300, for a v8 powered ute, consisting of 2.25" press bent mild steel tube from headers, into a Y pipe, 3" single resonator (rattles horribly) out to a large generic muffler and a 3" dump pipe mild steel painted black with a spray can. Biggest rip off of the century I thought!

Only reason I went to them is because they'd already done the mod that I wanted. Michael, who do you use these days? (or yourself?) I've got my OEM exhaust (unmodded) that I may change back to sometime…

I've allready got the Mufflers and tips. So its just the labour and tubing to bring it all togeather that I need doing.

A mate got an exhaust done at Woolf, I was shocked at the price they charged considering the basic setup and poor sound due to the cheap mufflers/resonators they supplied out of their inventory.

$1300, for a v8 powered ute, consisting of 2.25" press bent mild steel tube from headers, into a Y pipe, 3" single resonator (rattles horribly) out to a large generic muffler and a 3" dump pipe mild steel painted black with a spray can. Biggest rip off of the century I thought!

Seems like things may have gone downhill with Woolf then... my experience was some time ago but was high quality and cost effective. Hmm, bummer.

Woolf is a great exhaust shop you should go there and get the exhaust done......

yes there is always a bad story or two about any person who has ever provided any kind of service ever... were human and make mistakes etc etc

• Like 1

I can vouch for Woolf but can also see where Mike's coming from. If you are supplying parts or have a mate that can weld then they will seem very expensive. If just want a good quality exhaust mod from some guys that have a lot of experience then Woolf's a good bet.

Very happy with my exhaust setup from them and wouldn't have been any cheaper if I supplied the parts short of welding it myself.

also add in the 'what you pay for is what you get" :)

Tim at TTT Auto Engineering in Mt Eden is fantastic to deal with and is very skilled, give him a ring.

Pitstop westgate are all good and cheap. Sounds like a pretty basic job. As kfor Mike.

Pitstop Albany or Grey Lynn. My friend AJ owns them both but is currently based at Albany. Has owned and still owns many performance cars. Including V8 BMW's. Has done all the exhausts on all of my cars in the past. Actually listens to what you have to say. You will get what you pay for.

However if you want something for a race car then Dan Slater is your man. His precision and craftsmanship is just amazing. I wouldn't want anything less on an M3 if that's what your getting done.

Heard nothing but bad stories about Wolf. Surprised to hear people recommending them.

Its for my Clio Sport. I will be getting Woolf to do the work. They have done the M3 and my old Golf, and allways been good.

I don't actually own a BMW, I just signed in to give my opinion of Woolf Mufflers. I went there to get an exhaust gasket, and got talking to the youngish guy that seems to do all the actual muffler work there. He sold me the gasket to suit the piece of pipe I had brought with me, which had a little gash in it, about 1 cm long. I could have got it welded as a homer at where I work, but he said he'd do it for nothing. It was the end of the day, and he'd cleaned himself up ready to go home, so he said he'd do it the next morning. I arranged for my wife to go and collect it the next day, and told her to take him a packet of biscuits. When my wife went in the next morning, the guy brought the pipe in, but there were another man and woman also standing behind the counter, and this other bloke said it was going to cost $25. I think the guy who'd welded it didn't want to say he'd said he'd said he'd do it for free in front of what must have been his employers, but he should have done so. Anyway, my wife paid up because she didn't really know what was going on. I asked her if she'd given them the biscuits, and she said she did and they'd taken them. That was the part that really pissed me off the most. On top of an exorbitant price for two minutes work, they still took the thank-you biscuits. I have vowed never to have anything to do with Woolf Mufflers again, and never recommend them to anyone, as I think they are just money-grubbing A-holes. No good will shown at all.

• Like 2

Yep wolf mufflers are a weird bunch, heard lots of bad feedback.

Would never go there!