Sign in to follow this  
Tidy30

WTB: prefacelift E30 chrome rear bumper

Hi,

As per the subject, looking for a rear chrome bumper in good condition. Went to fit my tech1 rear today and realised my existing chrome rear is essentially just a whole lot of cheeky rust with a deceptively good conditioned layer of chrome on top.

Cheers team!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Edited by tidyverty

Can do

Hi, As per the subject, looking for a rear chrome bumper in good condition. Went to fit my tech1 rear today and realised my existing chrome rear is essentially just a whole lot of cheeky rust with a deceptively good conditioned layer of chrome on top. Cheers team! Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

They tend to be rusty underneath... most of them.

I'm way overdue to pick up one from Ray too, among other things which have taken the backburner after long and interesting dealings with the guy 'touching up' my car's paint (sorry Ray!)

Hi, As per the subject, looking for a rear chrome bumper in good condition. Went to fit my tech1 rear today and realised my existing chrome rear is essentially just a whole lot of cheeky rust with a deceptively good conditioned layer of chrome on top. Cheers team! Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

How rusty is it? When I painted my pf/l bumpers the rear one had quite a bit of surface corrosion on the inside, but a scrape with a wire brush, a bit of rust-kill and then a liberal coating of fish oil and it was fine.

How rusty is it? When I painted my pf/l bumpers the rear one had quite a bit of surface corrosion on the inside, but a scrape with a wire brush, a bit of rust-kill and then a liberal coating of fish oil and it was fine.

Very good point Mark. I have had a good look and think, it's not completely through, and is definitely salvageable with your above methods, especially since the bumper will have to come off for the tech1 to go on underneath.

However on the drivers side corner, a previous owner must've bumped/got bumped into as there is some slight deformation, and as a result the chrome has started to bubble and crack a little where the deformations are.

I'll send Ray a PM, and if it's something I can afford I'd be happy to switch the bumper out.

Edited by tidyverty