Sign in to follow this  
rusteee

E39 540i purchase, differnce in years 00-02?

Hi guys

Have found a nice 540i that I'm pretty keen on, NZ new full service history all receipts etc and healthy 163,000kms. Does anyone know what the main differences between the years are. I had an 02 530i Msport, the one I've found is a 2000 540I Msport. Obviously engine and steering difference lol, but body wise, and electrical etc, what would the main difference be? I noticed my 02 had ASC, and the 2000 has DSC, what is the difference? Just not too sure whether I want to take a step backwards in years purchasing the next vehicle.

Any help appreciated =)

Russ

2000 was a F/L of the E39 - subtle as in head/ tail lights, 10 air bags as opposed to 8, OBD2 engine management plug, widescreen monitor (if fitted, phone prep. That's all that comes to mind at present.

DSC - Dynamic Stability Control - a more advance system of ASC - Automatic Stability Control

Depends on build date of 00 as to F/L or not

Thanks for that. Yea I should have got the number and looked it up. Looked very similar to my 02 apart from the headlights, and this one has a few more fancies like phone, auto blind sunroof etc. What was the build date where they went through F/L?

Facelift is after September. Cars made in October, November and December of 2000 are considered to be "Model Year 2001". The steering wheel on M5 also changed at the facelift - not sure if this applied to 540.

There are ongoing changes through the model run as part of normal development. The facelift is the most noticeable as there are a a number of visual changes to "refresh" the look.

Oh right, this one is June I think, so must be pre facelift. Hard to tell the cosmetic difference apart from the headlights and rears. Other than that its much the same, but the back seats don't fold down.

Is it normal for the V8 to give a tappet type noise for 2-3 seconds on cold startup? I know the 530 I had done that on cold mornings but it did have 257,000kms on the clock.

I wouldn't say its normal but its not necessarily a problem depending what is actually making the noise

Edited by Eagle

Yeah I havn't actually heard it, as I tried the car out when it was warm and were no signs of ticking or knocking at all, was tight as a nun. He just told me that it can sometimes do it on cold start for 2-3 seconds, when I stated that I would like to try the car from cold start. Heard too many horror stories about chain guides falling to bits in the M62tu. Was an extensively well serviced car looking at the books and reciepts, no more than 10k between oil services and had all cooling etc + its 100k service all on time. So I'm hopeful its just a hydraulic tensioner or something if anything. Suppose pre purchase would be wise

Yeah I havn't actually heard it, as I tried the car out when it was warm and were no signs of ticking or knocking at all, was tight as a nun. He just told me that it can sometimes do it on cold start for 2-3 seconds, when I stated that I would like to try the car from cold start. Heard too many horror stories about chain guides falling to bits in the M62tu. Was an extensively well serviced car looking at the books and reciepts, no more than 10k between oil services and had all cooling etc + its 100k service all on time. So I'm hopeful its just a hydraulic tensioner or something if anything. Suppose pre purchase would be wise

Post facelift will have widescreen monitor

Na, this one has just the basic stacker with tape deck etc. My 02 was the same, but this one has all the phone etc and ability to connect phones and ipod which is a bonus.

Sounds like noisy vanos, mine is exactly the same, has been for a year or so, has 280k on it and the chain guides have been done.

540's have a cold start procedure which can be quite noisy - usually for longer though (30-40secs) - especially if the secondary air pump valve has a bit of carbon build up and exhaust gases are getting into the pump. If it is this rather than vanos then you can remove the SAP and code it out. SAP is designed to lower emissions by pre-warming the cats on cold start.

EDIT: Ask to try it from cold and video the engine bay and noise when you do. Post that vid on the Beisan systems forum and Raj will tell you within 24 hours if it's Vanos or not - and if not, he'll probably know what it is.

Edited by jeffbebe

540's have a cold start procedure which can be quite noisy - usually for longer though (30-40secs) - especially if the secondary air pump valve has a bit of carbon build up and exhaust gases are getting into the pump. If it is this rather than vanos then you can remove the SAP and code it out. SAP is designed to lower emissions by pre-warming the cats on cold start.

EDIT: Ask to try it from cold and video the engine bay and noise when you do. Post that vid on the Beisan systems forum and Raj will tell you within 24 hours if it's Vanos or not - and if not, he'll probably know what it is.

That sounds like a damn good idea, cheers for that. Yea I always like to try a car cold before I make any decisions on it, as thats usually when the gearbox, lifters etc will show true colours. I thought it could be the tensioners as they need the oil pressure on start too don't they? I remember when the wrong oil (20w50!!!) was put in my 530, that really talked to me the next morning, couldn't believe it when I found out what he put in it. I'd say the VANOS is a bit knackered at that mileage but doesn't seem to make any noises when warm, as I say I'm only going off what hes told me. He's offered for the pre purchase inspection, so might go for that too.

Only thing I didn't like about the car was that its silver ..... fussy bugger. I think the extensive service history, all 3 keys etc might overcome that though.

If you don't mind me asking, what was the rough cost of having the VANOS done in your 540? I had the 530 done by Ray when I purchased that a couple of years ago, but it was the guinea pig car, as well as I6 so can't really compare. Never did get rid of the rattle though.

Sounds like noisy vanos, mine is exactly the same, has been for a year or so, has 280k on it and the chain guides have been done.

What was the cost of having the guides done if you don't mind me asking? Maybe I better weigh up wether the v8 is worth getting, I do quite a few k's in a year, and it seems thats a pretty bad flaw

The double vanos procedure is pretty complicated. Mine was the first 540 Ray's boys had done I think. Took them 20+ hours. Ray was very generous with the price but you can imagine with that much labour... It ain't cheap!! Worth it if you're planning to keep the car long term though. Do the chain guides at the same time. I didn't as they looked okay but wish I had for peace of mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What was the cost of having the guides done if you don't mind me asking? Maybe I better weigh up wether the v8 is worth getting, I do quite a few k's in a year, and it seems thats a pretty bad flaw

I did them at the same time as a whole lot of other stuff, spent about 7k mostly labour, but that was new timing chain, check bearings and rings, major sort of stuff!! Engine was out of car for about 5 weeks, but i plan on having it for a while so good to know whats been done.

Had the guides done in my old 540i along with a new chain as the old one was scraping along the aluminium deflection plate. Back in 2009 I paid just under 5k for the job. Lots of labour.

Shiaaat that's a lot I think I'd epic DIY attempt it

Plan on spending a grand on the tool to hold the cams etc, lots of scope to cock it up!! Im usually pretty keen to diy, but taking the motor out and putting it back in was as far as i wanted to go into an m62tu!!:)

Yeah same here. Love to diy when I can or have the confidence. Far too much risk involved with this job imo. But hey, you'd have a sweet coffee table at least ;)

• Like 1

Hmmm thats a bit scary isn't it. You'd think being to do with the timing they would make something a bit more lifetime :mellow: haha good ol bmw.

Is it more age, mileage or bad service that causes it? Or can it just happen at any time? I got a video of the car cold, never ticked or rattled (had been sitting a few days), sounded as tight as it did the day I tried it hot, so not too sure. Is there any way to tell without ripping the oil pan off? It's hopefully going in to BM Worshop for a pre purchase inspection.

Who buys BMW special tools anyway? most are way overpriced. I always use alt's or make your own up.

Oil servicing plays a big part im sure and maintaining correct chain tension to reduce wear. I know BMW were using 24,000km oil changes for the M62tu which i think is a a joke and they clearly trying to reduce their expenses at expensive of engine life.

Who buys BMW special tools anyway? most are way overpriced. I always use alt's or make your own up.

Oil servicing plays a big part im sure and maintaining correct chain tension to reduce wear. I know BMW were using 24,000km oil changes for the M62tu which i think is a a joke and they clearly trying to reduce their expenses at expensive of engine life.

Yes, servicing is important, but mine is a 15 year old car with 280k on the clock, and i had to replace all the plastic bits, i wasn't surprised or pissed off, its something i expected when i bought the car. Yes bmw could have used unobtanium for the cam chain guides but no one would have been able to afford a 540i!! You have to be a bit realistic when looking at a car like this, and allow for some preventative maintenance imo. :) they are worth the effort!,

You dont expect anything to last forever but you expect a decent life out such a critical part. If you look at M60 timing setup you'll see its far better\built to last alot longer than the M62 arrangement. Only one reason in my mind BMW would use an inferior system.

You dont expect anything to last forever but you expect a decent life out such a critical part. If you look at M60 timing setup you'll see its far better\built to last alot longer than the M62 arrangement. Only one reason in my mind BMW would use an inferior system.

Yeah thats what my thoughts are. You have to be realistic when it comes to engines, but that seems a bit crazy, especially seen as it could be catastrophic engine damage if it lets go, and the repair/labour is so damn expensive and time consuming. Never the less, still a fantastic engine =)