Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

E39 Electrical Gremlins.. GM, Ignition Switch or Grounding Issues?

Where should I start the list of issues.. This car is about as temperamental as a teenage girl, Guess it's showing it's age.

There is a fault code that came back - Cable Clamp R on GM3 (No idea)

So thought the General Module unit was responsible for the many hiccups it keeps having with the OBC and other things..

So, here is the list of issues, sounds like it could be ignition switch related too - if I'm thinking terminal R is related with the Clamp R and terminal R being Ignition switch related, Unsure.

- No Nav, TV, CD, Radio, it does very rarely work once the car is warm and making some funky sounds on the left hand side by glove box. (it just sits there on the main selection screen, not black)

- Steering Wheel adjustment - works when it wants too

- Visor lights - Work when it wants too

- Cruise Control - no luck unless the Nav/Radio system work, then it works.

- Interior Lights flicker on and off while driving - sometimes

- Airbag light, very dim flicker

- Dash controls (Range, Limit, Consumption) work when Nav/Radio work

- Back Blind - Works when Nav/Radio Work

Also a slight mild ticking vibration when the car ignition is on, on the gear shift...

So everytime I switch on car, just the basics works, Electric Seats, Air Con, Indicators, Headlights and so on. I have never had any problems with the locking of the car, even without having to stick the key in the door.

Once you have been driving for over 30 minutes and the car is nice and toasty, you might just be in luck for her to decide to give you some music and all your controls back, and just before that happens, the air bag light flicks on, goes off and waalaa, everything works 100%!

So, anybody got any idea.. Would it be worth looking into Ignition Switch?

Allanw had all sorts of wierd stuff happening in his 525 and i think an ignition switch sorted it all, probably worth doing for the price of it!

• Like 1

I'd put a new ignition switch in.

They are a crappy switch, and they tend to cause issues like those - apparently trying the sun visor lights when the steering column isn't working can cause the column to work.

You can get the switch for well under $200 (maybe $160 ish???). Our CD player was intermittant, and after an ignition switch change for something else, the cd palyer has been faultless.

If it doesn't fix it, at least it's ruled out a common fault.

I reckon a LOT of people over the years have spent a fortune on "Electrical Gremlins" that were potentially just ignition switches.

• Like 1

Allanw had all sorts of wierd stuff happening in his 525 and i think an ignition switch sorted it all, probably worth doing for the price of it!

That's exactly what I am thinking!

Cheaper than trying GM, so I think I will go that option first, and easy enough DIY if I'm up to it :)

I'd put a new ignition switch in.

They are a crappy switch, and they tend to cause issues like those - apparently trying the sun visor lights when the steering column isn't working can cause the column to work.

You can get the switch for well under $200 (maybe $160 ish???). Our CD player was intermittant, and after an ignition switch change for something else, the cd palyer has been faultless.

If it doesn't fix it, at least it's ruled out a common fault.

I reckon a LOT of people over the years have spent a fortune on "Electrical Gremlins" that were potentially just ignition switches.

There is a brand new one on Ebay for around $50/60 including shipping...

Now comes another topic, how safe is it buying overseas.. Hmm

There is a brand new one on Ebay for around $50/60 including shipping...

Now comes another topic, how safe is it buying overseas.. Hmm

You win some, you loose some :-)

I got mine from Milland, it was a genuine one.

Have you checked the ground cables are tight on the battery and also the one on the drivers side corner of the bonnet?

Nope,

Will be on the list of things to check.

My list is growing...

Where should I start the list of issues.. This car is about as temperamental as a teenage girl, Guess it's showing it's age.

There is a fault code that came back - Cable Clamp R on GM3 (No idea)

So thought the General Module unit was responsible for the many hiccups it keeps having with the OBC and other things..

So, here is the list of issues, sounds like it could be ignition switch related too - if I'm thinking terminal R is related with the Clamp R and terminal R being Ignition switch related, Unsure.

- No Nav, TV, CD, Radio, it does very rarely work once the car is warm and making some funky sounds on the left hand side by glove box. (it just sits there on the main selection screen, not black)

- Steering Wheel adjustment - works when it wants too

- Visor lights - Work when it wants too

- Cruise Control - no luck unless the Nav/Radio system work, then it works.

- Interior Lights flicker on and off while driving - sometimes

- Airbag light, very dim flicker

- Dash controls (Range, Limit, Consumption) work when Nav/Radio work

- Back Blind - Works when Nav/Radio Work

Also a slight mild ticking vibration when the car ignition is on, on the gear shift...

So everytime I switch on car, just the basics works, Electric Seats, Air Con, Indicators, Headlights and so on. I have never had any problems with the locking of the car, even without having to stick the key in the door.

Once you have been driving for over 30 minutes and the car is nice and toasty, you might just be in luck for her to decide to give you some music and all your controls back, and just before that happens, the air bag light flicks on, goes off and waalaa, everything works 100%!

So, anybody got any idea.. Would it be worth looking into Ignition Switch?

Forgot to add in:

The horn doesn't work unless Nav/Radio working

You can remove covers, when it has issue use multimeter and check volts at back of switch, you will find its below 9v.

A multimeter is $15 at repco, best investment

Just an update, this issue is now all 100% and sorted thanks to Ray at HellBM!

Turned out to be the ignition switch, and boy is it great having all my electrics back, so stoked it wasn't a wallet breaker and as per the usual big ups for the help from Ray.

So, if your car decides to steal the luxury away of the OBC and Radio/CDs, probably a good start checking the Ignition Switch :)

WooHoo... such a simple thing that cause such bizarre issues! It's a pretty average switch design... the Germans tend to do that for some reason - My old VW van is the same - needs another switch now, after replacing it 3 or 4 years ago. They only cost about $12 though B)

Enjoy your new found luxuries - call the last owner and tell him it's all sorted - just needed a switch :D

WooHoo... such a simple thing that cause such bizarre issues! It's a pretty average switch design... the Germans tend to do that for some reason - My old VW van is the same - needs another switch now, after replacing it 3 or 4 years ago. They only cost about $12 though B)

Enjoy your new found luxuries - call the last owner and tell him it's all sorted - just needed a switch :D

Still not 100% sadly, all the electrics, yes, car no :(

Next on the list is a Torque Recon, Radiator Flush (or new radiator), Service and then, hoping the big things are sorted so I can tinker and make her perfect :)