Sign in to follow this  
Beeker2

race brakes for targa car

As long as you can get replacement parts in nz(or get spares) it should be fine. Nothing worse than warping a rotor during targa. Also check if there are other rotor options with the same pcd and offset, just in case the rotor isn't up to the task

What diameter are they? I have 4 pot APs on my E36 compact for targa and there fantastic. AP rotors are way better than the likes of wilwood, standard BMW rotors or anything else ive used or been involved with.

My advise is get some good brakes and APs are a fantastic brand in my eyes.

Hi Steve, I think I briefly spoke to you on targa Sprint on Sunday. I had the integra (was winning my class until the alt belt broke!!), and mentioned that I have the e36 M3 3.0 build starting. To answer you question, the rotors are 325x32

The plan was to get the core kit, plus a pair of extra rotors.

These look to be the best brakes I can find that will fit under 17's. ie proper competition calliper's (no boots, piston spring, anodized), and the rotors are AP floating on custom hats. Have not made my mind up on pads yet, but have traditionally run Pagid RS29's (yellow enduro pads).

Note: Will probably have to run spacers until I get some wheel upgrades which support them.

Thoughts?

About to order them so looking for someone to find any floors in my strategy!

Can I price this up locally ? What price was it going to be for everything including shipping?

Edited by Mr2low

Here's another option http://www.racingbrake.com/

I use their kit on my e36 m3, front and rear with hawk 60 and 70 pads

These run very cool because of the design I have had to block off the cooling ducts to get them upto temperature.

Playdays 5 laps a session, Hampton downs lap times 1.18, car approx weight 1400kg

Great customer service as well, pm if you want to discuss further

Can I price this up locally ? What price was it going to be for everything including shipping?

USD$2600 for the core kit incl front brake line.

ADD: 2x USD$250 for a 'extra' pair or spare rotors = USD$500

ADD: USD$109 rear brake line

ADD: AP enduro pads $25

Total US$3235 = NZ$3809

I'm assuming plus gst

If i cannot collect them when i'm in the USA soon, then Kiwi shipping from LA to NZ ADD NZ$255

For clarity, the rotors are AP rotors on cusom hats. Not rubbish ones. see: http://www.essexparts.com/12-81-x1-25-325mm-x-32mm-heavy-duty-70-vane-j-hook-right-hand.html

Picture of core kit, excl the extra rotors, pads and rear brake line:

Essex_Evo_Comp_Brake_System.jpg

Edited by Beeker2

Question.

Does anyone know if the US spec E36 M3 3.0 has the same mounting points/location/dimensions for the caliper mount as the eurpspec car?

ie a BBK will be directly be transferable between the two versions of the car.

ie We know their engine is different, we know they didn't get the EVO brake upgrade (they got solid front rotors), just makes me worry that their front brake mount location could be different?

The AP rotors are rubbish .... loads of guys with CSLs that run the AP rotors all hate them. They crack with RS29s - I can show you a local CSL with a similar AP setup that has cracked rotors after a couple of local track days.

Most race guys in the US and UK that fit the AP kit now go with Performance friction rotors - much much better design and material.

Edited by M3_Power

^those aren't race brakes, they are just big road brakes, regardless of the pads you through in them^

In saying that, that is all I have on my E30, Big Porsche Brembo's with Pagid race pads.

And they do me just fine.

The AP's the OP is looking at are proper race items, is that really necessary....... That's another story.

As are the likes of the PFC gear from Bimmerworld

Which would be my pick, largely based on the nice 'Direct Drive' Rotors / Hats they use, if I won Lotto.

What's the difference? Excuse my ignorance!

Edit: RallyRoad really know what they're talking about when it comes to race/targa e36's so it would still be worth talking to them.

Rotors are made from a lot higher grade steel and floating for reduced thermal transfer to the drive line. Calipers are monoblock and of superior piston design for large even clamping force to utilise all areas of the pads, this also stops expansion of the calipers. Also have an easy out system generally for the quick change of pads among other things.

Anyone have an opinion on the Willwood/UUC 4 wheel package? It's a very sharp price and two piece floaters are an option.

Link ?

SL4s are all good... Looks like a good kit. However I have seen/driven what OEM rotors/calipers and pagid rs29 pads can do as well on an e36 m3. Seriously epic.

Update.

Have ordered the Essex racing kit. Did a but more research and it only confirmed my thoughts. Also purchased 2x spare rotors.

Have started with their bundled C300 AP Endurance pad, but will probably revert to the Pagid Rs29 as that's always worked for me.

Will report again once its on the car and confirm how it works in real life racing conditions.

Something I did find out is that the Calliper is a custom order from AP and supports the extra thick 32mm rotor, unlike the standard AP 'motorsport' E36 kit which is a 28mm rotor. Don't get confused with the AP E36 Fast road kits, that's another step down again.

F95472547.jpg

Edited by Beeker2

Nice!! You wont be dissapointed.

Now get a pedal box in there... So good as you can change pad material and change the bias to suit.

More rear brake always looks cool too haha

Nice!! You wont be dissapointed.

Now get a pedal box in there... So good as you can change pad material and change the bias to suit.

More rear brake always looks cool too haha

What do you have on the back of yours?

I'm hearing conflicting things on the rear setup.

I'm currently thinking to stick with the OEM setup (matched pad compound to front) to start with and do some 4 pots later.

ie gotta stop spending money at some stage!

PS. the essex kit is obviously designed for the OEM pedal box etc. However, its piston sizing does move a 'small' about of bias to the rear.

Edited by Beeker2

I ended up using a standard 2 pot rear Mitsi evo caliper (road going brembo) and e36 m3 rear rotors. Pad wise I think I ended up with Ferodo DS somethings. Seams to work sweet.

My two cents:

If you can afford a pedal box you should serriously look into it. I know my brother and dad have had big issues in the past trying to find a good brake bias by trying diffrent pad materials and bias valves etc. Waste of time and money in my eyes. With a box installed you can run what ever and have it set up after a few skid tests (mind you the master cylinder size can be a bit of a guess to start with). Its a good idea if you ever plan on changing the rear brales at some stage too.

I ended up using a standard 2 pot rear Mitsi evo caliper (road going brembo) and e36 m3 rear rotors. Pad wise I think I ended up with Ferodo DS somethings. Seams to work sweet.

My two cents:

If you can afford a pedal box you should serriously look into it. I know my brother and dad have had big issues in the past trying to find a good brake bias by trying diffrent pad materials and bias valves etc. Waste of time and money in my eyes. With a box installed you can run what ever and have it set up after a few skid tests (mind you the master cylinder size can be a bit of a guess to start with). Its a good idea if you ever plan on changing the rear brales at some stage too.

I think that's a very good idea for Phase II.

It probably helps you expand the options available for the rear brake rotor and caliper too.

I guess you can then ditch the integrated drum brake for handbrake in the same time.

I'm installing a Floor mounted Tilton 600 Series pedal box at the moment, and the guys at Tilton are super helpful for providing MC Sizing based on the wheel/tyre size, weight distrubtion, caliper piston sizes, and a bunch of other inputs.

Having run a BBK with front only, and on all 4, I can only agree with Steve.

I found it surprising how different (good) the car felt once I put the rears on, which for me, was also a disc up-size and a bit more rear bias in the piston sizing.

Looking forward to an update when you have a heap of shining new parts to show off!!