Sign in to follow this  
samjarvis1987@gmail.com

E46 warning lights + suspension item

A little bit of story to bring people up to speed...

Recently took my E46 to a mate of a mates to get a service done and got him to install my msport springs on my standard beamer ~ he was unable to do this as one of the bolts was rusted too much...

During the servicing I had to also get my handbrake replaced (just the springs) and a hole in my exhaust welded.

My handbrake light is now always on and my ABS light is orange on always too.

We put in an OBDII and using the torque app but it couldn't see the warning lights and so was unable to clear them ~ I was told just a reset should clear the warning lights.

When I checked under the front right wheel I saw this;

post-16999-0-35706500-1394347398_thumb.j

What is it, will this be causing my warning lights and how can I reattach it (tried and failed)?

Thanks in advance.

It looks like an anti sway bar link remove and replace it.

Okay..the fact that you have done work on the handbrake is a clue. If the handbrake switch is now jammed on it will be sending an earth to pin 23 on the A2 module and lighting the handbrake light. The ABS light comes on with an earth on pin 22 of the A2 module. I would say that you have a short between pin 22 and pin 23 and the handbrake switch has suddenly jammed on with the work.

More likely he hasn't plugged the abs sensor back in or f**ked it in doing so. And he should of told you that the sway bar link was f**ked, that's a pretty serious issue. Easy fix tho, just did my ones.

Also if he can't undo a rusty nut I sure as hell wouldn't be trusting him to be anywhere my car and by looking at what he's done neither should you!

Edited by euroriffic

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've been told that the sway bar link should just go back on no probs (the reason it's out of sync on the picture is just the height of the ride at the time).

I was told nut couldn't be removed (he had the tools to do so) in case it snapped due to the force on the potentially weak nut/bolt - then ride would be screwed.

Also, the handbrake and abs light came on before he actually started work on the handbrake itself ~ either through driving it or it just came on.. So any reason this might be?

What I plan to do:

Get the guy in to attach/fix the anti sway bar link.

For the parking and abs light found this: "With the car and light on and handbrake lever down pull the wire from the switch. If the light goes off you have a bad switch".

If it's the switch, get a new one.

If not, book it into BMW and see if I can't get the codes cleared and the abs sensors looked at if that doesn't help ~ got a mate who works for Jeff Gray BMW.

i have new sway bar links listed here.

cheap enough and you dont fix those things

also have abs sensors , brake pad wear sensors , handbrake switches etc etc .

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/suspension/auction-704677522.htm

If the one in the photo is anything to go by replace them both they are not expensive but it could get that way if you leave them in their present condition.

I've been told that the sway bar link should just go back on no probs

I was told nut couldn't be removed (he had the tools to do so) in case it snapped due to the force on the potentially weak nut/bolt - then ride would be screwed.

Ummm... take the car elsewhere.

Ummm... take the car elsewhere.

+1. The ball joint has completely come away from its socket - if your guy is trying to tell you it's an easy fix you need a better wrench monkey :blink: am wondering if the next piece of advice will be to fill in the cracks on your CABs with sikaflex.................