Sign in to follow this  
MoJoJoe

exhaust muffler recommendations?

How ya guys doing? I wanted to get an aftermarket exhaust system but decided to settle on just a good muffler that makes my 328i sound more alive, Curently its got the stock one with 2 polished tips. Not looking for the chinease fart cans but something that sounds nice, raspy and deep in idle and daily driving..

I saw some borla and remus mufflers from RP in trademe and was thinking to take one of these ones and have it welded on with a Y adapter?.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/exhaust/auction-704996887.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/exhaust/auction-704997845.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/exhaust/auction-704997757.htm

PS: I couldnt login since JAN, account was compromised? password didnt work and everytime I tried to reset the password the forum kept telling me I entered the wrong code. few other members I know had the same problem, I asked phil and jared to pass it on to the forum admins(Josh?).

Edited by MoJoJoe

Good to see you back brother...

thanks brother, so far I have spent around 8-9K total on the car plus parts to beef it up, got the lsd too, most went towards importing m3 cams for my motor and then the lsd. I have a few bits and pieces to buy and mount like the xbrace and then will post some pics. hence one of the reasons why i came back. :)

Wow, low reserve on those auctions.

I have a Remus and am very happy with it.

Yea, i went to pay the whole price and searched remus and came up with these. which one have you got aand how does the remus sound over the factory muffler? does it have that raspy tone in idle? I dont want the whole system at $900, so I am thinking to pick up one of these three for a couple of hundread. this one http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/exhaust/auction-704996887.htm

not sure if I like the one with the angled tio too much, http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/performance/exhaust/auction-704997757.htm

Edited by MoJoJoe

The server was moved to fix the many issues that were happening so you had to wait, it was only 7 days ago that it was all sorted and running again.

^ this guy was a great help, I couldnt had bought the car without him helping me out. kudos.

anyway, so is that what most people are using on their cars? should I grab one of those remus mufflers on trademe and have it welded on with a Y pipe adapter? not sure if they will have fitment issues with my rear m bumper.

I picked one up for around $150. :D

Its single in twin out, but my stock one has twin in twin out, so I am thinking we will need a Y adapter.

anybody know the price to have mufflers installed in these cars?i a local shop gave me an estimate of $150 over the phone. is that about right?

I did the same thing today, will figure out if it has two pipes that run the full length of the muffler or if it runs a splitter just before the tips. If it's option 'a' then I'll cut the back off and rearrange it to accommodate twin entry. otherwise it'll have to be a merge pipe right before the backbox. Either way, looking forward to getting my grubby little mitts on it!

how much are you paying or people here pay to have it welded on? is the price of $150 about right? I never really bothered with mufflers in my previous cars. They all either came with a muffler or the factory standard one.

I always do mine myself, but $150 sounds about right, its a bit more than just chucking a tip on and throwing some welding at it!;)

do you know how the inside looks on the exhaust/mufflers on these cars? I see twin pipes meeting the muffler, so I was thinking they need a Y adapter pipe to weld the two and merge into one to do the job? How hard of a job it is overall, I mean its not like a job that reqires any special tools that only the muffler shop can do? Because I know this guy who runs a small operation in the next town and people I know get things done from him often, he can weld, paint, do car body and panel repairs, his prices are good. I am going to him later this week to get some work done, so was wondering if I should get him to do it for me?

Edited by MoJoJoe

If you get the Y pipe it wouldn't be hard. Personally I'd have kept the pipes separate and got a dual in/dual out muffler. Would sound a lot better IMO.

I wanted them to be twin in twin out aswell, but all the remus universal ones I saw on sale were single in dual out.

I guess I will just take it to the guy and see what he says, if he can't do it then I'll take it to the muffler shop.

It can be done without the Y piece but its faster, easier, and neater looking if you can one. Muffler shop should be able to get one no problem?

Just get one of these first... easy.

magnaflow_y_pipe.jpg

where did u get one of those? my guy is an expert welder :lol: should I ask him to do it his way, I reckon it'll be cheap too since I am getting some custom welding work done from him anyway.

I have the same issue, been wanting to replace the stock muffler on my 325i but couldn't find a twin-in, twin out muffler. Been eyeing those universal mufflers for a while but unsure of merging the twin pipes back to the single inlet. Will be keen to see how you find the sound (and performance changes) with the Y adopter once you have it installed

bought a Y adapter from a local shop today, its not exactly 2 into one as in 2 pipes joining into one as \ / but more like one big V into an small I. So one whole piece; which works also since I needed one in an angle,

With our cars if we got an universal one in 2 out remus like I did then we need a Y adapter that is angled a bit since thats how the factory muffler is mounted, and for one to go into the M bumper properly the tips cant exceed 85mm each and also the muffler needs to be installed in an angle. We are going to weld it in next week. Will post results after, but I am sure it will be good.

Just went single straight pipe from headers into a nice resonator followed by a catback remus exhaust which goes back into twin pipe and wholy its awesome!! slight gain I can feel not obnoxiously loud And that remus tone. hmmmmmmmmmmm

Got mine done at woolf mufflers and they are amazing

total cost? youtube video clip of the sound?

I wanted to go the same route but ended up deciding not to do much on this car, sold the cams yesterday and will not buy any serious performance parts since i'm planning to leave eventually, rather save what I dont need.

taking it to the shop tomorrow. I think I will go single straight pipe from the headers aswell, but what about the resonators? do we need them? or will the car sound crap/wont pass wof tests without them?

You don't need them, all they do is regulate the sound. You might find that the sound in the cabin's pretty unpleasant without them though.

• Like 1

Seems you have done this before, I read about a Y resonator, I saw 2 resonators before the muffler 1 on each pipe but where is the Y resonator? IIs that inside the stock factory muffler? Then that makes my job easier as we wont need a Y adapter to match the bends and can simply cut the muffler open and weld on from there or something and have the job done right, I dont want the exhaust to sound like crappy honda fart can. Nor do I want it to be so loud that its setting off alarms of my neighbours or gets annoying inside my cabin. I want a nice idle drone and a nice tune when I floor it. So tell me all about it.

I care about cabin noise, so I wont delete the resonators, insetad thought of deleting my cats with straight pipes or gutting them and welding them back shut.So it would be something like this

No Cats > Resonators > Y Resonator > Remus Muffler.

My friend can weld so if we can do it I rather take my time and not bother going to the muffler shop.

PS: car is a 328i (M52 motor). Also would I need the SA version software flash for my engine since theyy didn't come with cats? Is that a DIY I can do myself(the software flash) or need to take it to someone here. I think gavin @ hi-velocity charges around a grand give or take for a tune(first time) so I cant go to him just yet for this small stuff. maybe at a later date if I have some more engine mods.

Edited by MoJoJoe

Would be helpful if you could take a pic of your current exhaust system. Your car may not have a Y resonator, particularly if it already has a pair of resonators. It will only need ECU flash if your car has post cat sensors and even then, it may not need it (my 540i didn't). It will almost certainly have pre-cat sensors but post-cat's less common on older cars (my 1996 528i didn't have them but my 2000 540i does).

Best vs cheapest option is to remove cats, keep resonator/s and switch the stock muffler with your new one.

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1