Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Convertible top maintenance / revival

Hi guys, can anyone here recommend a really good product to rejuvinate a convertible top? I recently bought an early '80's Benz SL and the roof is original. Its very tidy but needs something to "feed" the fabric. Also need a recommendation on a good product to remove cloudiness on the plastic screen.

Was going to buy either Meguiars or Mothers but hopefully someone on here with an E30 cab or similar can steer me in the right direction.

dont have a product for you, but thats impressive if still original! is it leaky?

The car has factory hard top so has hardly been used, only issues are some creasing and the plastic has gone a bit cloudy

The Mothers plastic Polish will work a treat on the window. Try Mercedes for the cloth top, they should have something decent and not usually that expensive. Try and get the hood up and stretched out, they're not supposed to be down for extended periods.

Plastic goes cloudy due to UV damage as material breakdown. The polish is a light abrasive that takes a tiny amount off the surface. If your "cloudiness" is deep like mine, the only thing you can do is to replace the entire cover, or pay an autotrim company to replace the window, which ever is cheaper.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk