Sign in to follow this  
RhoanW

Starting Issues E39 530i

This is the situation. My car battery was dying and finally went last week. I got the car home but it would not start the next day. I had it parked for about 7 days; I bought a maintenance free battery today with 700 CCA. I installed it into the car and the trunk light came on the CD player started up so I thought everything is working. I then went to start the car but I was still getting the behaviour like the battery is low, a ticking is how I would describe it but no engine turn over and the dash lights kind of flicker. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what to check, possible solutions? Any help would be great at this point.

Annoyingly it could be that the new battery needs charging, might have been sitting around?

Is the "new" battery charged ??

Terminals clean and on correctly ??

Check. Charge. Then terminals tight and clean. Then check the fuses besude the battery. If the headlighys work well etc then it could be yet another occurance of a faulty ignition switch. But start with the easy stuff

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Glenn all terminals nice and clean, I am going to check that it is properly charged. Jason the headlights work, so hopefully it is not the ignition switch. I will update later about the battery state.

does the new batt have a 'magic eye' ? They indicate if the batt is sufficiently charged , or not based on the color of the eye.

does the new batt have a 'magic eye' ? They indicate if the batt is sufficiently charged , or not based on the color of the eye.

Those magic eyes are a total waste of time. I have seen numerous showing green (charged) when the battery is flat.

Also, as it is only monitoring one cell - it is no indication of the other 5 not monitored. Yes when new - all cells should be the same charge state but on a failing battery - the cells often vary. I know this is not relevent in the OP's case.

Well turns out my battery seller lied; he said over and over that the battery was fully charged but I checked my mechanic and sure enough it was not charged fully. I have it on a charger now. Thanks for the help so far.

Weird. Was it brand new?. Most should hild sufficient starting charge for at least 6months. We sell batteries and our supplier takes them back for a recharge if it gets to three months old. Which isnt overly common

It was just not fully charged. The car is running normally again. Jason some sellers ensure the batteries are charged and others don't. I just hate when the sellers aren't truthful and cause you to be troubleshooting all over the place.

Glad its fixed up. Free solution is best solution