Sign in to follow this  
obie320i

Lowering an E30

I am after some info on suspension mods to an E30 320i 1987

I want to lower the ride height nothing to extreme and was wondering how easy it is to source aftermarket suspension parts for this model. who carrys this stock.

Any help appriciated.

Obie

Pretty much anywhere will stock bits.

Shocks - Bilsteins or Konis are used alot by members here for good reason

Springs - Kings, or Jamexes popular aswell.

usually two common drops - a 30-40mm on lows or 40-55mm on supalows.

Mine is on some unkown springs which give 55mm drop - yet to take it in for a WOF to see if its legal - it'll be borderline.

Someone told me if they are off-the-shelf for the car height is irrelevant but I suspect they are talking out their ring-hole.

www.shox.com offer extremely attractive deals even after shipping is taken into account, but what is the cut-off for GST? don't get stung.

new bilstein shocks are about $900 delivered from www.shox.com as apposed to about $1200+ you get charged in NZ.

New springs can be found at most mod shops.

more concerned about ride height andrew, but as I said on Sunday - springpads will be the go if not. My mechanic does my WOF's usually, and he's pertty on to it and knows the vehicle. might take it down the testing station this time just in case.

Hmm list of illegal mods: Smoked tails, low (maybe), europlate (in the mail), the list goes on... lol.

Maybe I pump up the tyres and take the sub out before I go for a wof - do I have to have a spare???

Guest Andrew

Spare is a WOF req.

Numberplates are not a WOF req. - doesn't matter what you rock through there with.

Cheers for the info there are a few springs turning up on trade me jamex / King springs do you recomend that I also upgrade shocks at the same time. from a few of the other forums springs alone don't improve handling that much. Cheers Brendan

do you recomend that I also upgrade shocks at the same time.

most certainly... ask anyone on here they'll say that.

takin to a testing station dosent mean jack, you can often get away with more stuff their as they are not proper mechanics usually. My mate got through a pink sticker warrant through a testing station with a non certed motor, gearbox, crossmember, drivetrain mods, a whole different suspension setup including bigger struts with huge brakes and shocks out of another car.... etc etc

I have B+G springs in my E30 320i - drop is about 40mm. Good springs but you must upgrade the shocks as well to give it acceptable handling as the springs rates are no good with std shocks (like most stiffened springs). 40 mm is really as low as you should go and still use it on the road (imo).

takin to a testing station dosent mean jack, you can often get away with more stuff their as they are not proper mechanics usually. My mate got through a pink sticker warrant through a testing station with a non certed motor, gearbox, crossmember, drivetrain mods, a whole different suspension setup including bigger struts with huge brakes and shocks out of another car.... etc etc

Problem here is if you have an accident and the car is examined and the mods are not certed, you will most likely not be paid out and might even be held responsible for the other guys damages... not worth it, get them certed IMO...