Sign in to follow this  
MoJoJoe

wheel spacers?

anybody know what sort of wheel spacers do i need, my car is lowered and I am running some nice 17" BBS Wheels currently (1995 328i). I am not sure of the size or correct ones needed but understand that the 10mm ones aren't reccomended as they may cause issues and stuff below that wont show much of a stance. I just want some stance nothing over the top. I saw a set being sold on trademe by redline, are those the ones everybody here runs? I just need some options and openions to run the correct spacers on my car. thanks

forgot to mention, when I add wheel spacers, do I have to go get an wheel alingment for another $150 from the local shop??

Edited by MoJoJoe

Won't need wheel alignment but will need a cert (at around $500) or it won't pass a WOF. Certification info here - make sure whatever you fit can be certed.

that was a good read. thanks :)

so it seems it probably wont be worth it to me, nearly $400 for the 20mm set and then $500 more for a cert. even smaller spacers as 5 - 7 mm will need a cert..right?

Yep and most smaller ones are slip on with no locating lip so probably can't be certed anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jeffbebe

yes, not worth it if they are your only mod.

I have bolt on 15mm ones on the front of my wagon, doesnt *need* them, but seems to handle better like that, and balances out the fatter than stock rear tyres so the look is still correct.

All depends on what offset the wheels are to what size spacers you want/ can run depending on hight and tyre size. A 20p offset is pretty good fit on an e36. So you're better to try find a set of 5 series wheels that are around that if all you want to cert is spacers

I ran 15mm H&R hub centric spacers on my old E30 for ages, they weren't that easy to spot either with BBS RS alloys and the brake dust blending them in

I never cert'd them and had no problems with WOF from 3 different places in Hamilton

If you happen to get in accident, even if not your fault, your insurance would be void if you're running uncertified mods.

• Like 1

I ran 15mm H&R hub centric spacers on my old E30 for ages, they weren't that easy to spot either with BBS RS alloys and the brake dust blending them in

I never cert'd them and had no problems with WOF from 3 different places in Hamilton

I know most guys would overlook it so might just do it, maybe take them off before a wof.. do you know where to get them from? red line performence has some, but not sure if the right ones...you saw my car real well, you would know if 15mm is the right size all around? 20mm just looked too much. i just want some stance and + handeling.

If you happen to get in accident, even if not your fault, your insurance would be void if you're running uncertified mods.

does that apply to engine & final drive (LSD) mods aswell? my car hasn't been insured yet. i might just keep it that way.

Got mine from Turnermotorsport. Don't really remember it looked like, but as said above you need to know the offset of the rims first.

i gotta take the wheel off to messure it don't I? I dont know what the rims are exactly else would had googled it.

i was thinking to get slipon ones like this http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=708517418 in either 8mm or 12mm with larger studs

where are you planning to get longer studs from with the correct thread pitch? thats the first thing to research. too long-a bolt and you will find that it goes right through the hub and touches the wheel bearing, which is just as bad as too short bolt that doesnt have enough bite.

3mm or 5mm ones, you will probably get away with using your factory bolts, much more than that and you will need them to be on the safe side, but then you wont be hubcentric, which is also a bad thing.

there is a reason all this is illegal without an engineer looking over it and ticking some boxes

My advise, one of three options:

• get the right wheels,
  • get bolt on
  • dont bother.

f**k slip on stuff unless its a very temporary measure

Edit: by the way, i have some 25mm bolt on hubcentric spacers i had an engineer make up for my wagon if anyone is interested. will pass cert or your money back.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Thanks, I think you guys talked me out of doing it for the good. I never bothered much with rims and any of these stuff on my cars, yea, I was leaning towards at the slip on stuff becuse I want that beasty look of filling in the wheel arches really. and I heard it improved handeling too. anyway, here's a pic of the car in question, I haven't washed it since I got it, I am doing some work this week, after that I should be done. for now this is the crap camera pic from trademe. wheels are pretty full but I just wanted a more agressive look and "stance" or whatever they call it.

post-51207-0-52152700-1395479448.jpg

seriously? made of planks? not that i would do anything like that but if you do just for the show and then take them off, then i gues more power to you.

this got me keen to see your drift/show car?

Just got my euroweaves 15x7, im thinkin on putting spacers to make it more flush(yes form over function)

anyone here using one? please post them for reference

here's where i am right now

14230538919_10405b948c_c.jpgDSCF2750 by ryan.gonzalvo, on Flickr

does that apply to engine & final drive (LSD) mods aswell? my car hasn't been insured yet. i might just keep it that way.

LSD should be fine, depends what engine mods you have done. Check on the NZTA website... Tells you what mods require certifying. It's not rocket science.

LSD does not require a cert any more than changing your final drive ratio. Increasing the track is fine as long as the correct changes are made to the suspension & steering. Which would probably cancel out any "stance".

Engine mods are ok provided they stay within a 20% gain of factory rated output. S50 headers, cat delete & remap would be well under a 40hp gain. Any form of forced induction, or using a different displacement engine, or change of fuel will require a cert, i.e petrol to diesel, LPG etc.

http://www.lvvta.org.nz/documents.html#thresholds

It's all there in black and white. Best you do your research.