Sign in to follow this  
samjarvis1987@gmail.com

Borrow OBDII usb for E46 (Wellington)

Hi,

Was just wondering if anyone had an OBDII usb version (not BT) that I could borrow to grab the error codes out of my E46 323i '00.

I was just placing an order on ebay for one, but delivery is 2-4 weeks away, so was hoping someone could help in the meantime..

I've got both the Torque app and BMWhat app on my android phone - but supposedly my ECU is too old to grab the codes properly via bluetooth.

Alternatively if you know any places that would read my error codes for free/cheap please let me know :)

JKSouthern is charging $50 and Jeff Gray @ $80 with mates rates.

Have spent too much on my car recently and trying to do this cheap...

Thanks!

all the hand held units etc arent 100% reliable, my one included, they are pretty good though. despite having one, if i was chasing a persistant problem, i would be getting Jeff Gray to scan mine, $80 isnt much to know exactly what the problem is, rather than buying 6 or 7 parts it "might" be

Is that just the hook up fee and any work is extra get them to explain it to you in detail or you could have a nasty surprise. Gray's charged me 147 odd this was hook up fee, turn off door chime when open they couldn't only turned it down plus a fault in the windscreen fluid level sensor, replace sensor as they suggested $55 still have problem take from my experience what you like.

Is that just the hook up fee and any work is extra get them to explain it to you in detail or you could have a nasty surprise. Gray's charged me 147 odd this was hook up fee, turn off door chime when open they couldn't only turned it down plus a fault in the windscreen fluid level sensor, replace sensor as they suggested $55 still have problem take from my experience what you like.

certainly no offence intended allan, you have done a great job, but you cant really use an engine swapped car etc as an example of service experience when it comes to this sort of thing.

Hi Andy ,

No taken just letting Sam know that sometimes prices given are not what one might think they represent and should be explained more carefully. As for the engine swapped car yes that could apply but both items were on the car before it had the trans plant so I feel would not apply. Being the so called dealer ship and having the "correct" scanning equipment I felt they should have been able to turn off a simple chime device. As for the fluid level sensor that's open for further debate but at the time it felt like more money had been thrown at it and still no result so was dissatisfied with the results.

The best you can do as far as software goes, is the something BMW Specific.

INPA (etc) is the BMW software (Google cableshack - he's very helpful) and it gives BMW secific codes. A lot of the generic ones are crap, and the codes they give are somewhat meaningless.

BMW Scannner 1.4.0 is probably the easiest to use, and gives MOSTLY useful codes, plus lets you program some options.

Nerd alert!: BMW Scanner 1.4.0 and an INPA system will get basically anything you want to do done: Examples (dependent on models), fit used modules (eg BMW Scanner can set the VIN and MILAGE of a used LCM to match the car), new modules (NCSExpert is part of the INPA package, code the module to YOUR car), scan for codes, set chimes/turn them off/change the sound, change service intervals, change OBC Coolant Temp warning point, Program light checks on or off, flash engine/trans ECU software (WINKFP), deactivate lost keys, set alarm/locking settings, disable/enable electric window auto functions, retrofit options your car didn't have, alter light settings for DRL/indicator flashes etc.... anything BMW could do, plus ALL the stuff that they don't know HOW to, PLUS the stuff that BMW Scanner can do that INPA/BMW can't/Won't etc.

Clearly though, you need to be careful, but it's not very tricky. Also - diagnostics is a LOT more than replacing the part the code is for - the problem often is NOT the part refered to by the code.