Sign in to follow this  
keen

Orange light comes on on off

My wife's car a 2000 e46 318 sedan has the orange light come on and goes off. Had the car to the stealer and a code read. No specific code came up. the ( I think its called) the pcv valve was replaced the ruptured rocker cover breather hose was replaced. They say the CO sensor is functioning as they could see the voltage changing. I'm not keen on just letting them go looking around without some sort of direction. My question is how many things can be affecting or causing that light to go on? and has anyone got a more spacific reason to be homed in on? Can the catalytic converter be causing the fault and can that be removed without any problems such as more noise or running being altered for the worse. The car has covered 148000kms.

No 2 question the interior light at the front does not come on at night but it sometimes comes on during the day what is it about that or those lights there is only the 2 switches and they don't appear to make any difference.

Sorry forgot to say its an m43

anyone got any answers yet

Ken, I take it the parts have been replaced since the the light has been coming on? I assume too that you mean the engine check light.

That light covers all parameters within the engine management so could be one of many things.

If the cat is blocked -depending to what exitent it normally is noticed as affecting performance.

Was it no code came up or no known code? Was the light on then?

As for interior lights - are you meaning the front map lights?

Did you take it to a dealer (BMW) or an independent?

The codes are best read with decent equipment - you should either have a code, or a shadow code. If the light has been on, a code of SOME kind shouls have been logged.

Also - what exact light is it? There are a number of them that come come up orange? Can you find an image of it?

My E46 has an orange light that comes on 10 seconds after starting the engine, and goes off again about 10-15 seconds later. This is to tell me that the oil level sender isn't working.

In itself, it's not an issue provided you regularly check the oil level in your engine. Y'know, just like the old days? Lol

Solution - drop sump, replace sender. Hella p/n 007868031, BMW p/n 1261-1439-810.

Of course, yours might be a different orange light. :)

Solution - drop sump, replace sender. Hella p/n 007868031, BMW p/n 1261-1439-810.

No...... drain oil, replace oil filter, fit new level sensor in sump, refill with oil, run motor, recheck oil level....all done

• Like 1

No...... drain oil, replace oil filter, fit new level sensor in sump, refill with oil, run motor, recheck oil level....all done

I kinda hoped the 'drop sump' bit might suggest draining the oil first! ;) But yes - do this at the same time as an oil and filter change.

I kinda hoped the 'drop sump' bit might suggest draining the oil first! ;) But yes - do this at the same time as an oil and filter change.

You do not have to drop the sump. The level sensor is bolted to the bottom of the sump