Sign in to follow this  
jjs

E30 Convertible pricing

I had a laugh when I spotted the asking price on this E30 vert but then the joke was on me when I spotted SOLD at the bottom of the ad - http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-701052776.htm

I can't see the value in this - especially with those hideously embroidered seats!

I was looking for a E30 vert for a while but couldn't find one I liked. I also drove one and sadly my memories of driving an E30 (would be ten years since my last one) were not anything like reality.

There have been a few for sale lately, some cheap and snapped up quickly but also lots of dreamers asking big money for average cars which are still listed.

Would be interested in some true market info from anyone on here that has transacted a E30 rag top as a buyer or seller. Also, is there a big price premium for a facelift or manual?

Would be interested in some true market info from anyone on here that has transacted a E30 rag top as a buyer or seller. Also, is there a big price premium for a facelift or manual?

i paid quite a bit for my facelift vert, but i HAD to have it, its my favourite BMW colour, extremely tidy etc.

yes there is a huge premium for the facelifts, usually about twice as much as the prefacelifts. there seem to be about 10 prefacelifts for every facelift, at least if the listings and sightings in the past 2 years since i first started looking. no idea why that is, the facelift is a much nicer looking car (imho).

I love mine though, have got it looking just right now i think. have put on a Tech 1 wing and iS front lip, deleted the high stop brake light, and lowered it on Eibach/Bilstein suspension. and will be getting a fresh manual G260 box in the next few months, and very early days of sourcing some wheels for it???

Just dont be too disapointed when you find it doesnt drive quite like a coupe 325i does. They are heavier, and less rigid, and you do kinda notice it sometimes especially on a back road etc. But iirc its BMWs first new class proper convertible so i can let them off i guess.

I think you'll find he threw $20k on it so people wouldn't call, it was advertised for less earlier, hence sold.

There is no premium for FL that I've seen and I'd never have one. A pfl with Tech 1 (yes I'm biased) is a much better looking classic car. And that's what they are, so don't tell me a fl is "more modern". It's like a more modern axe.

A good one is good fun to drive, mine is manual and it's fine, it's no high performance corner carver, but then what E30 is apart from Hybrids? Good weekend fun is what they are,I wouldn't want to drive one everyday in traffic.

There is no premium for FL that I've seen and I'd never have one. A pfl with Tech 1 (yes I'm biased) is a much better looking classic car. And that's what they are, so don't tell me a fl is "more modern". It's like a more modern axe.

wow calm down, dont think you have have your chamomile before bed??

tech1 prefacelift is obviously going to be an exception, but i dont recall ever seeing one of those come up

tech1 prefacelift is obviously going to be an exception, but i dont recall ever seeing one of those come up

He he he, excuse me sir:

https://touch.trademe.co.nz/listing/view/686260099

Been listed for a few months now!

Its going to be the standard "worth what someone will pay for it" argument with these, but I'd say the "going rate" for these really is around up to 6k for a pfl, 7k for a fl.

Ratty ones go for around 5k to 5.5k.

Really good condition ones can go for a bit more than that. A bimmersport member had an immaculate gold one they claimed had multiple buyers at 10k.

A few of them on trademe have new roofs, which knocks back 1k just like that, so keep that into your consideration list.

Like any E30, they all need work really, so I'd be more looking for a good condition one than a cheaply since you'll be spending a bit for "maintenance". I've spent around $4k-5k already fixing up bits and pieces for mine, then around $2.5k with cool-guy bits I have managed to snag. Most sitting in limbo..

(Oh sweet Jesus it certainly is surprising/amazing/horrifying realising I've spent so much on the car already...)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

wow calm down, dont think you have have your chamomile before bed??

I'll add IMHO, better?

Ive got one now so i dont get the emails in my inbox anymore.

That looks okay. a Tech1 in silver though, would be great. actually any tech1 in silver is gorgeous.

i wonder why a replaced roof would drop the price???

Mines still got the original roof

I should rephrase, replaced roofs will save you around 1k as you don't need to do it yourself. So you can factor that into the maintenance contingency. Not many original roofs are kicking without being in cloudy/brittle state.

I should rephrase that, quite a few roofs I've seen are old and will need replacing.

Edit: Cirrus tech1 would be far superior!

Edited by tidyverty

I should rephrase, replaced roofs will save you around 1k as you don't need to do it yourself. So you can factor that into the maintenance contingency. Not many original roofs are kicking without being in cloudy/brittle state. I should rephrase that, quite a few roofs I've seen are old and will need replacing. Edit: Cirrus tech1 would be far superior! Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

my rear screen is pretty well like new still, but its still got the cover for the rear screen which has either been used religously and/or car always garaged etc.

Yep its not unheard of. My friend's 87 cabrio still has a fantastic window too. His doesn't have the rear screen cover so I'm going to take a guess that yours was probably garaged all the time.

So back on topic, I still stand by my initial estimates: 6k for a tidy pfl, 7k for a tidy fl. Once again due to relative scarcity these numbers can vary wildly based on the "waaaaannt" value but I gleaned these figures through what I've seen them listed/actually sell for.

Keep in mind if you're a stickler with your car, restoration/maintenance can very easily surpass the buying price!