Sign in to follow this  
nz320i

DriveShaft needs lengthed? who does this??

Hey did the conversion today but not able to drive it till the drive shaft is the right length, have a pre f/l one but the bearing braket thingy is different, who makes them longer in Christchurch does anyone know somewhere reeealy cheap as the bill is getting big...lol

$1400 at the mo... :huh: (for everything + labour)

Cheers

Edited by nz320i

Hey did the conversion today but not able to drive it till the drive shaft is the right length, have a pre f/l one but the bearing braket thingy is different, who makes them longer in Christchurch does anyone know somewhere reeealy cheap as the bill is getting big...lol

$1400 at the mo... :huh: (for everything + labour)

Cheers

Just buy a new center bearing housing like myself and Carl did. Costs probably a bit from the $tealer though. They are different between the pre-fl and fl. I would do it ASAP as it probably isn't too safe (mine was held on by a couple of bolts).

Rather than getting your shaft lengthened how about just replacing it, having a short shaft is definately not the go but the cheapest thing is to simply find a replacement and that could be as little as $50 of trademe

Or if you are really cheap like me (I had the same prob) pull apart both bearings, choose the better bearing of the two, crack her open, repack with grease, and re-assemble in the correct housing. Whole process took me 45 mins.

yeah the wrecker has e pre fl one but wants 280 for it so i could get that then switch the bearingsn over but id say itd be cheaper to lengthen it??? unless i can fond a real cheap pre fl one and swap them round..

dammit i could have the car on the road but its holding me up, oh well it will be worth it

Why can't you switch the bearings/bracket over from your auto driveshaft to the manual one? Presumably the auto one will fit as it came off the car.

Its a bit of fun romoving the circlips and then knocking the bearing off the shaft with a hammer and scewdriver without damaging it, but not all that hard.

ooohh its tempting as then i can get the car on the road quick, but the manual driveshaft isnt mine, it is the wreckers and he wants 280 for it which is a bit, and i think i may be able to get my auto driveshaft lengthened for less $$??? i hope...

Edited by nz320i

$280 sounds like a grift to me. Thought you said you've got a pre f/l one - or is that the one from the wreckers.

Offer them $100. You only need the front half anyway.

yeah its a pre f/l one and i doubt he'd take 100 for it, if anyone out there has one im keen!!!