Sign in to follow this  
PS530

newbie up North

Hi All, Finally got around to joining, after 18 months of (mostly) enjoying my e39 530i.
Picked her up with 130k on the clock. Budgeted $2.5k to do the necessary, and pretty much got there...: radiator, belts, plugs,oil leak on filter housing, fuel pump and filter, fan speed resistor, ABS control unit..... hopefully that'll do for now, but if there's anything glairingly obvious that's due at 160k, please.....
She's just back from the panelbeater after losing a fight with a tractor wheel, but the guys have done a great job and after a cut and polish should be pretty straight.
Great to have this huge knowledge pool to lean on, but kinda hoping I won't have to for a while.....

Cheers, PS

Ah good man - another yokel I can hassle.

Sounds a bit like you're in the same boat as I am, with our 525i - done most of the issues - just rebuilding my laptop, so I can code the brand new ABS module. We're just coming up 135K I think.

Welcome!

Hi Paul and welcome

You have a few e39 owners on the forum so the knowledge base is present to tape into. With the k's your machine has done the cooling system and suspension are the things that stand out the most the electric thermostats and plastic impellered water pumps can be a problem I see you have already done some work on the cooling so this may not apply. The front thrust arms and control rod bushes wear but these give warning signs, shack in steering and woggle under braking the rear set up again is generally due to things wearing. The other things I found were passenger window switch's( right rear in my case) the inside bits would brake. Also if not fixed already the oil filter housing oil leak any how just enjoy the 530i all bare their faults they are a good cruiser.