Sign in to follow this  
aja540i

M42 ecu

I am getting an M42 ready to drop into my e21, the motor i got is from an auto car, does anyone know if i can use the ecu from the auto car with a manual box ?

I am getting an M42 ready to drop into my e21, the motor i got is from an auto car, does anyone know if i can use the ecu from the auto car with a manual box ?

yes, on these old pre-CANBus DMEs you will just to make the DME think it is in neutral (as opposed to Drive or what have you) so you can start it, usually just a case of cutting and/or joining a few wires together. I dont have a M42 wiring chart, but the M42 engine came out in every single E30 318i in the USA, so there are millions of manual swap threads out there that will tell you which wires to cut and/or join.

Or if you cant be bothered, use a manual DME

Edit: DME is same word as ECU if you didnt allready know that. Easier to know the german names for sh*t when you look at BMW stuff etc just seems to be convention of sorts

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Cool, i just had a look through the wiring diagrams and it seems i just have to bypass the auto inhibitor switch. Fingers crossed!

Im trying to avoid having to get a new DME if i can use the one i have, it came with the ews module and dash cluster etc.

If it's anything like my 325i it was as simple as splicing two wires together, or running two wires to the clutch switch. Which I should do but still haven't gotten around to it. Dinosaur technology can still be cool!

Pics of the swap or it didn't happen :)

Yeah, i prefer working on the older stuff! No pics yet, its a bit of a long term project this one, still sorting out body rust, just getting all my ducks lined up for when it goes back together. I only just decided to go M42 instead of M10 !!

haha yea, have a look at that S54 thread that is current, thats the bullet you dodged!

Long term???

you mean loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong term.....

...... Like all my stuff!