Sign in to follow this  
Lukeprusher

E30 Brake light issue

Hi,

Realised today that none of my brake lights work, i have replaced the fuses, bulbs and checked the relay, what else could cause this?

Cheers

do you have trailer wiring

Will change the brake light switch with another and see how that goes,

if you have power to the lights, you are looking too far upstream. Checked the grounds? High stop work at all? all other rear lights work?

Google e30 ETM, (Electric troubleshooting guide), Find one of the same year then find the brake wiring schematic. Easiest way to find how the circuit works and what you are looking for, also lists all the connectors and their locations listed somewhere too if you need to go hunting.

Edited by e30ftw

Do you have power on the tail light circuit OR the brake light circuit? Both obviously different.

If you have power out of the brake light switch & at the lamp (brake) - can only be an earth issue to the lamp assy

I had this issue, one side was completely out and the other side worked. It ended up being the brake light switch.

^^^^ Neither brake light will work if the switch is faulty. You sure you don't mean one tail?

i too doubt that. Pretty sure the switch only has two terminals from memory

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

^^^^^^ Yep. Two versions in E30's - early & late type. Both two terminal - power in, power out.

Any brake light switch has only one power out to the lights

I have this same problem, I tested the brake light switch (replaced it not long ago, so was suprised it would be that) and it's working fine, I replaced all the fuses (they were nearly all factory), all the other lights work, just no brake lights. I'm thinking it's an earth somewhere as it seemed to happen after I had loads of stuff in the boot.

It's just too cold outside at the moment to go hunting... Lol