Sign in to follow this  
satianv

Power window with door open not working

Has anyone else come across this ...With the key turned off and the door open, the power window should work but my old E30 318 1989 doesn't seem to like doing it...

Suggestions anyone?...Thanks. :jap:

Umm there not supposed to work.

Once you turn off the key and/or take out the key and open the door the windows stop functioning ...

But if you turn off the car and don't open the door they remain usable for a certain amount of time ...

Neh thats not true, the as far as I know the E30 E28 and even E34 you are able to use the windows after you take out the key and open the door - but not if you close it I don't think.

Never knew why they were designed that way though - I thought just so you could close the window after you take the key out in case.

In my E36 and E46 i could take out the key and the windows still closed, however as soon as i open the doors they would stop working ...

Do your interior lights come on when you open the door in question? Are all the windows effected? Does opening one of the other doors get them working?

Pre f/l e30's are wired differently to f/l. The door open/window working with ignition off only functions in the pre f/l.

It is a simple job to change it in f/l models to work like the pre f/l models. You will need to locate the relay under the cubby and remove the switched power and replace with a permanent power source (which can be found in the large white terminal block in the same area).

The main cause of it not working in cars wired for it is the door switch is not making earth contact. The switch has two contacts, one for the interior light, the other for the window relay, and both don't make proper contact. Just clean the contacts and wire the two points together.

The door open/window working with ignition off only functions in the pre f/l

Mine is post f/l, has this function - not sure if it has been modified or not.

Both my old pre F/L and my F/L had this feature.

Have a look at this site, there is an article under the electrical section.

www.bimmerdiy.com/e30

Mine is post f/l, has this function - not sure if it has been modified or not.

Same her, mine is facelift, and has this feature.

Essentially it is just the switch located in the door jam at the front of the door (near the hinges from memory).

As suggested take the switch out, clean up the contacts, and it should be fine (I have had to do this on both sides at one time or another).

Cheers

Grant

I had to change the wiring in f/l I have now as it would only work with the key on but obviously seems this might be an oddity, so the most likely culprit would be the door switch. My cab had a faulty door switch...

My bad... :blink:

once the door is open past a certain degree the windows do open and shut. My one does do this.

Edited by E30stz

mine are fully finctional on my facelift, but one thing do you have the switch that turns them on and off? as the wires can pull out of these easily, just plug them back in and you might be alright.

Another f/l another one that works but only on the drivers door I think?

Ali - you seriusly need to consider upgrading your car to an E30 for this must have feature!!!! I'm sure someone here will begrudgingly swap you if you plead with them. :lol:

Another f/l another one that works but only on the drivers door I think?

Ali - you seriusly need to consider upgrading your car to an E30 for this must have feature!!!! I'm sure someone here will begrudgingly swap you if you plead with them. :lol:

haha yeah ali you need to upgrade man!!! mine works on both windows?? maybe it was done before i got it?? :huh:

So in the E30 after you open the doors the windows still goes up and down ??

Oh well doesn't matter .. I can just use the remote to close it as i walk away anyway .. hehehe ...

The only car i would consider swapping for in the E30 style is an Mint M3 Evo III .. heheheh .. anyone wanna swap ??

sorry, all I heard was "Rich Plonker" ... can you say again ?

Edited by E30stz