Sign in to follow this  
handgrenade

VANOS maintenance kits - what and who will install?

Hi all

I would like to do some maintenance on my VANOS on my s50b32, however BM workshop will not perform the work since they haven't done it before and are just relying on info from the USA.

Are there any other workshops who do have experience with the maintenance kits and anti rattle kits etc who would be willing to fit these kits?

Thanks.

Ray at HELLBM would be the go

• Like 2

Ray at HELLBM would be the go

+1

Thanks ! Sent Ray an email .. Will call him tomorrow if I don't hear back

From memory Dave, yours took some time to do so how much did you really save, or is your time free ;)

Ray at HellBM would be my only choice for this, they've done plenty and well priced. Call him, he gets too many emails!!

Yep have spoken to ray .. He hasn't done the s50b32 double VANOS before so testing on a spare head to make sure he gets the pricing and steps right :)

You have 3 options

1/ replace % 75 of the O rings and filter (vanos not removed) : can be done "easy diy"

2/ replace all the O rings and filter : requires vanos removed from motor and work on the timing " medium "

3/ replace all O rings/ filter and rattle kit : vanos , cam gears etc removed from motor " hard"

Both Dave's and my experiences are covered in threads

Remembering that this work isn't common for workshops, BMW just replace a vanos if there's a problem.

Any shop doing this work would have to be willing to reference the online diy's and be methodical in their approach.

anyone here got the special tools to do the vanos seal? im thinking of ordering the seal and getting it started in the next couple of weeks.

As much as I have gotten my hands dirty in my younger days building and maintaining my cars .. with the amount of time I need to dedicate to work and that the BMW Is my daily I think I'm in the position to have someone to do the work properly. Spent way too much of my youth under cars and under the hood .. would rather pay to have it right .. tbh the amount of extra pay I would get at work if I did overtime vs going home to work the car would be more cost efficient to have someone do it

Thread necrosis sorry, but am looking to get my vanos rebuilt on my e36 m3. Have spoken to Ray at hellbm and he doesn't want to touch it, anyone have an idea of a reputable person to do this?

Not confident enough to do it myself.

Thanks