Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Duke Radial Engine Concept

Found this in my Facebook news feed from another member here

http://news.epicinter.net/could-this-be-the-future-of-internal-combustion-engines/11

the minds that come up with these things!
Is it too little too late? i wouldn't expect any of the big manufacturers to develop an engine like this for production

Probably too late. Saw a thing recently where an american guy remade parts of the 13b rotary and increase idle efficiency by like 60% and overall efficiency by 16%. Also reduced exhaust gas temps by 600'F great stuff but two decades too late.

I can see there being some issues around sealing the stationary head and the moving block! The weakest part of most internal combustion engines and they want to make it a bearing surface as well, really interested to see how they solve that.

Think they've been having problems with a few shut doors and getting it past the monster of red tape the US brings to the table. They're now looking at putting the technology into generators and boats which is less governed by bullshit and fart tax.

This is second hand information however.

Its quite complex around the sealing of the cylinders. The prototype they had running offered awesome power to weight - much better than conventional engines.

I personally lke the opposed piston 2 stroke diesels like the Deltic. That seems to be a simple way to get high power. The trap with all of them is that they need lots & lots of r&d dollars to get to the economy, cost, reliability & refinement of the conventional engines. Great ideas, but the road is long, hard & lonley without mahoosive backing.