Sign in to follow this  
RipJaws

Prices on e30 316i four doors?

I have been in deliberations with myself to sell on my 320i.

When the time is right later on I would like to make a purchase on a nice facelift four door 316i. Ideally a standard one with no rust and in generally great condition. My question was, how much are these things worth? I would prefer it to be a 1990 but Km's don't really even matter as I would want to change the engine to an M54 or M52.

Thanks for any advice.

Mine cost me $5800 but it has 65,000ks on the clock and its mint inside and out. You could get one for under $3k in good nick surely?

Does it have to be a 316? If you are going to put in a m52/54 then to me, it doesn't really matter. I would just be looking for a mint 4 door.

Mine cost me $5800 but it has 65,000ks on the clock and its mint inside and out. You could get one for under $3k in good nick surely?

Holy smokes that is big money, it does look to be in very excellent nick though. With those wheels on its looking even better too. Was it completely standard when you bought it?

Does it have to be a 316? If you are going to put in a m52/54 then to me, it doesn't really matter. I would just be looking for a mint 4 door.

Good point, I guess it doesn't but my theory was that any 316i's out there would be relatively less desired than say a 318i or the 325i. So I thought I may get one for cheaper this way + the engine which is at the lower end of power in which these cars came with would be getting swapped straight away anyway. I guess Skeets gone and blown that theory out of the water though with his car ha, still a very tidy example and I know these cars can be worth a lot in good condition.

Edited by RipJaws

Yeah absolutely standard. I probably paid too much, the guy was a collector and wasnt giving it up for anything less than what I paid. You can get them in good nick from tidy organised people - they sell them for dirt cheap not knowing how much they actually go for. Just keep your ear to the floor on TradeMe.

• Like 1

316i are more expensive than 318i and 320i. this is because they are more economical

(only because they don't have the balls. if driven hard they are much worse than 318i 320i etc)

I have a very tidy 316i 4 door facelift here in white,

the catch is its deregistered

yours for $1500

will be going up on trade me this weekend probably

I have 316i 2door for sale.

But its 1989 and manual and no rust.

Edited by jayzrb

316i's are now desirable due to them not having suffered a life of thrashing or neglect, until now. I've had 2 316i 2 doors both 1 owner and both in near new condition, but when I wanted bigger better I sold them on and bought bigger better as- is.

Great advices. I have found it really hard trying to decide what to buy and how much to spend. You really have to think about what you want from the car and how much time/money you can give in to it. I still have the 320i which is now manual but from very early on I have wanted an M5X motor. Now I have a low K's M20 coupled with manual transmission, in a car that is too low at the rear with camber I just want to sell the whole lot on and start over doing what I wanted properly.

I'm not sure if I could be happy with a 2 Door but anything will be considered at this stage. I know that the fibre glass m tech 2 kits are more readily available for 2 doors so that is a huge plus.

The prospect of your 316i sounds interesting Andy. I'm actually headed down Wellington way on the 30th, if it looks good from the trademe perspective would it be okay to pop around for a look?

If you are going for a m5x swap, better of starting with a 325i.

316i are bottom of the crop and have little to no options, with a 325i you already have the better suspension and brakes, rear axles, medium case diff blah blah. By the time you source and swap all that stuff into a 316i you would have bought a 325i to start with.

The only benefit is the 316i (m40 g240) gearbox fits directly to an m5x unlike the m20 gearboxes (without modification to the mounting / shifter atleast).

Edited by e30ftw

yep, depends what your goal for a M5x swap is.

If you want a nice street car with options, start with a 325i

If you want a track weapon, start with a 316i

remember the power difference between M20 and M50 is pretty small, although there is a better power band on the latter. If thats worth it to you then sure. I don't think i would bother swapping a car that is already a 325i. Going to an M52 or S5x of course is much more attractive, considering you are half way there as you should be able to flog the M20 for a bit of coin

the 316i weigh about 400kg less too (according to wiki etc) because no sounds deadening, less options etc

chuck in a 325i rear subframe to get the bigger diff/axles/disk brakes. they are really cheap

chuck in 325i struts. still really cheap

go to town

• Like 1