Sign in to follow this  
Golfboy666GTI

What BMW's other than a E30 M3 have dogleg gearboxs?

There is no Japanese spec, they can have either the H Pattern if a US spec was ordered, or a dog-leg if a Euro spec was ordered. Which is why people have cars from Japan which have both types of box.

The articles I have read on the 2 x RHD is that they were for Japan, which makes sense as HK would not be a big enough market for it to even be considered as a project whereas Japan would be. I think one of the cars is now in a collection in HK, or it was when the last article I read was written.

There is no Japanese spec, they can have either the H Pattern if a US spec was ordered, or a dog-leg if a Euro spec was ordered. Which is why people have cars from Japan which have both types of box.

The articles I have read on the 2 x RHD is that they were for Japan, which makes sense as HK would not be a big enough market for it to even be considered as a project whereas Japan would be. I think one of the cars is now in a collection in HK, or it was when the last article I read was written.

Sorry, you are wrong.

Japan has a model that is euro spec but has a H pattern gearbox - plus a km/h speedo.

US is different, they didnt have the second gas tank up behind the rear seat, they have side lights and they have different headlights.

Where do you get your information from? Do you work for a BMW dealer?

Just to say it one more time...

There is NO Japan spec, only Euro and US.

Cars sold in Japan could be either model, the US Spec or the Euro Spec, depending on what model code was ordered.

Most Euro spec cars would have a Km/h speedo, only GB uses miles, rest of europe is Kms. It could have been possible to option a Euro spec car with a H-pattern box, if you really wanted to. And after all these years it could easily have been swapped out, and not necessarily what came out of the factory, H pattern box is much cheaper to get hold of second hand as it's much less desirable.

I get my information from many places, but no I don't work for a dealer.

Just to say it one more time...

There is NO Japan spec, only Euro and US.

Cars sold in Japan could be either model, the US Spec or the Euro Spec, depending on what model code was ordered.

Most Euro spec cars would have a Km/h speedo, only GB uses miles, rest of europe is Kms. It could have been possible to option a Euro spec car with a H-pattern box, if you really wanted to. And after all these years it could easily have been swapped out, and not necessarily what came out of the factory, H pattern box is much cheaper to get hold of second hand as it's much less desirable.

I get my information from many places, but no I don't work for a dealer.

So you are saying that it wasnt standard for a Japanese E30 M3 have an H pattern gearbox?

It depends what you mean by "standard", as both types of M3 were sold in Japan as new then you can say either one is fitted as standard.

From the numbers I have seen there were more US spec cars sold in Japan than Euro, so the H pattern would be more common.

What it all boils down to is which model the car was, US or Euro.

(Disclaimer - allow for ordered options, later changes, odd balls and f&$k ups)

It depends what you mean by "standard", as both types of M3 were sold in Japan as new then you can say either one is fitted as standard.

From the numbers I have seen there were more US spec cars sold in Japan than Euro, so the H pattern would be more common.

What it all boils down to is which model the car was, US or Euro.

(Disclaimer - allow for ordered options, later changes, odd balls and f&$k ups)

"Standard" Japanese New E30 M3's came with H pattern gearboxs, fact! I have seen so many of them. They are pretty much Euro spec but they have a H pattern gearbox.

So they are pretty much US Spec then?

Much as I enjoy hitting my head against a brick-wall I will stop now, apparently it feels good when you stop.

So they are pretty much US Spec then?

Much as I enjoy hitting my head against a brick-wall I will stop now, apparently it feels good when you stop.

OMG! No, they arent US spec, but they have the same US spec gearbox. The rest of the car is pretty much Euro spec.

So, do you want to deny that brand new E30 M3's left Germany for Japan with H pattern gearboxs?

Some resources speak of the UK 325i Sport having a "close ratio" gearbox, but I have never found a list of what the ratios actually were, and if they were different from a normal 325i. Definately not a dog-leg box in either version though.

The E30 320iS, in both 2-dr and 4-dr, had the dog-leg 265/5 in all of them. However, they were only sold in Portugal and Italy so I don't know what the Japanese version would have had in it.

Authorized BMW Japan Model = car that has been imported by BMW Japan, not a parallel import. The stamped number is then the serial number.

Post up the VIN number stamped on the chassis and I will tell you whether it's Euro or US spec... The four characters after the WBS.... are the important ones :mellow:

Interesting info from both sides.

The plaque shown is from AK05 Euro spec M3,

What John is saying if I am correct All Euro spec M3's from sold new in Japan will have: close ratio gear box, aux tank, different fuel gauge, indicators in the guards speedo in km/h.

I have seen what look like euro spec M3's with out the close ratio box but have not checked to see what tank is in there, from what you are saying there should be aux tank installed if it is euro spec and some one possibly removed the gearbox or was it customer ordered like that?