Sign in to follow this  
Filth

E39 vs E60 | Whats more economical?

Hi Guys,

Title is pretty self explanatory.

What's more economical? I currently have a 2003 E39 530i Motorsport.

I always fill with 95 and a full tank is around $150 to get 500 or so k's out of. That's not really economical if I'm honest and I know it's a heavy car / doesn't like sitting in traffic as it sucks the gas.

So with the more modern E60 shape and iDrive - are they more economical to maintain?

I have been considering ditching the car for something still fun / cheaper to maintain. A Subaru WRX or a Mazda Axela.

Edited by Filth

Naa, they all Slurp

just get the V8, it doesn't use much more :)

The E60 530i has 3 engine types depending on year, the 2003-2005 has the same engine as you have now, but a 6 speed auto.

But in reality that model won't be much better then what you have, maybe 1-2 %?

Buy a brand new Renault Clio 900cc Turbo, 4.5L.100k

Those WRX's etc all use about 10-11L/100k, Mazda MPS maybe a little better, but not much.

My E39 525ia uses 50L for 442k's and 1/2 of that is open road.

Edited by Charles32

Hah as much as I would like to the aim behind this is to free up some cash where possible to save for a house.

I understand that would mean downgrading.

Edited by Filth

I think my V8 actually is pretty good on the open road. Yes it's not so flash running around town.

End of the day manufacturers really started concentrating on fuel economy about 2007, E60 is probably worse on gas than the e39. They are heavier and the motor's don't have any tech that would decrease fuel consumption (turbo, hybrid, direct fuel injection, lightweight parts etc).

Edited by M5V8

I think my V8 actually is pretty good on the open road. Yes it's not so flash running around town.

End of the day manufacturers really started concentrating on fuel economy about 2007, E60 is probably worse on gas than the e39. They are heavier and the motor's don't have any tech that would decrease fuel consumption (turbo, hybrid, direct fuel injection, lightweight parts etc).

I love my car on the open road - very economical. It's just getting to the point where you do the numbers each week on the cost of a full tank does add up each month / year.

Finding myself looking at cars / friends that have fun cars that are much cheaper not only in gas but maintenance / service too.

I'm not having a whinge, I understand that when you buy a BMW you pay for the brand / parts that go with it so non issue there - it's more a realisation and exploring my options to stick with BMW as they are great cars.

you probably will save money with a jappa 4 banger if you pick the right one. It's personal choice. e39's are getting older these days, older cars require more $ spent on them.

Any difference is offset by added complexity\maintenance of E60.

Get a motorcycle if you want to save on gas, maintenance and have something fun. You Don't have to worry about sitting in traffic either.

• Like 2

Any difference is offset by added complexity\maintenance of E60.

Get a motorcycle if you want to save on gas, maintenance and have something fun. You Don't have to worry about sitting in traffic either.

Hah funny you say that I am an avid bike lover and it has been on my mind. Safety is a number 1 for me coming into winter / wanting to avoid getting rained on. Bike probably for summer.

I love my car on the open road - very economical. It's just getting to the point where you do the numbers each week on the cost of a full tank does add up each month / year.

Finding myself looking at cars / friends that have fun cars that are much cheaper not only in gas but maintenance / service too.

I'm not having a whinge, I understand that when you buy a BMW you pay for the brand / parts that go with it so non issue there - it's more a realisation and exploring my options to stick with BMW as they are great cars.

A Golf GTX or GTI could be a good option, 2005 or newer, 2litre turbo, mine averaged 8.7L/100k and I had a heavy foot, the 6 speed DSG box is awesome, handling is great for a FWD car.

These come up quite cheap now.

Edited by Charles32

A Golf GTX or GTI could be a good option, 2005 or newer, 2litre turbo, mine averaged 8.7L/100k and I had a heavy foot, the 6 speed DSG box is awesome, handling is great for a FWD car.

These come up quite cheap now.

Great suggestion mate - I will have a look.

Many thanks :-)

Could always look at a 530D. Around 10L/100kms in heavy traffic. 6.1-6.8L/100KM's on the open road.

I have an 05 530D E60. Driving from Chch I got just over 1100kms to a tank. Including a bit of spirited driving over the hill to Masterton.

There is the extra cost of RUC. But in reality you are still paying quite a bit less.

And the E60 will cost you no more than an E39. They are comparable for maintenance costs.

They are not slow either. Modern Diesels are pretty impressive.

However you can probably pick up some Jap car with less KM's on the clock for the same price.

• Like 1

it really depends on where you are trying to save. A later model car will have significantly cheaper running costs being a more modern car. But more expensive to buy.

Older, more maintenance but cheaper to buy.

I general if I was doing lots of km i'd be in some late model jappa or golf.

• Like 1

Could always look at a 530D. Around 10L/100kms in heavy traffic. 6.1-6.8L/100KM's on the open road.

I have an 05 530D E60. Driving from Chch I got just over 1100kms to a tank. Including a bit of spirited driving over the hill to Masterton.

There is the extra cost of RUC. But in reality you are still paying quite a bit less.

And the E60 will cost you no more than an E39. They are comparable for maintenance costs.

They are not slow either. Modern Diesels are pretty impressive.

However you can probably pick up some Jap car with less KM's on the clock for the same price.

Thank you driftit - I will check out the 530D.

I hear they are quite grunty for a diesel so sounds like a good option.

it really depends on where you are trying to save. A later model car will have significantly cheaper running costs being a more modern car. But more expensive to buy.

Older, more maintenance but cheaper to buy.

I general if I was doing lots of km i'd be in some late model jappa or golf.

Very valid comment here and where I'm trying to save cash, is the ongoing cost of a car in general. I would rather fork out the initial cash for a later, more economical car than buy something that is cheap to own when in hindsight, is going to burn my bank. Exact case has happened here.

Been looking at the VW Golf's and they seem like a fun car - my partners mother has the newer 2011 GTI and that's a bit of fun.

Also the 330D E90. They are great cars. Just have to find a nicely spec'd one. So many have sparse options and horrible color combos.

Thu, all my bmws (v8s incl) have been better on gas on the open road than any of my turbo subarus. It's the city driving and traffic that eats the gas on a big car like an e39.

To be honest, youre probably better sticking with the E39 if you are trying to save money - unless there is a compelling reason to ditch it. Any savings in fuel economy are going to be minimal compared to the additional capital outlay to step up for a newer car or a diesel.

The E39 is a much larger car than the Mazda / Subie / Golf. Not a fault per se, but worth noting if you need a large car. Of all the options mentionned, my personal suggestion would be the mk5 or mk6 golf. They are a very well thought out car - much more so than any BMW Ive owned. They drive really well, are really zippy in traffic and have plenty of safety features - but can be $$$ to get into.

• Like 1

To be honest, youre probably better sticking with the E39 if you are trying to save money - unless there is a compelling reason to ditch it. Any savings in fuel economy are going to be minimal compared to the additional capital outlay to step up for a newer car or a diesel.

The E39 is a much larger car than the Mazda / Subie / Golf. Not a fault per se, but worth noting if you need a large car. Of all the options mentionned, my personal suggestion would be the mk5 or mk6 golf. They are a very well thought out car - much more so than any BMW Ive owned. They drive really well, are really zippy in traffic and have plenty of safety features - but can be $$$ to get into.

Great suggestion elmarco - thanks!

I have been seriously considering a Golf GTI as it may better suit my needs however, the E39 is quite economical on long trips etc.

All comes down to my personal needs / wants in a car which I'm yet to revisit.

The E39 and E60 530i's are virtually the same in fuel consumption and performance, I'd get the V8 if it was me, say it used 3 litres per 100 more than the 6 cyclinder, that's only $7.50 ish more per 100kms than the 6 and you get way more thrills and noise with the V8!

The E39 and E60 530i's are virtually the same in fuel consumption and performance, I'd get the V8 if it was me, say it used 3 litres per 100 more than the 6 cyclinder, that's only $7.50 ish more per 100kms than the 6 and you get way more thrills and noise with the V8!

The V8 is notorious for problems! That's why I didn't buy one in the first place.

I've owned a E60 6 cylinder and it had it's fair share of issues too. Later on I had the V8 and it was far more fun to own. Luck of the draw I guess. I've got an E65 at the moment with what appears to be the only N62 engine without faults lol.

I've owned a E60 6 cylinder and it had it's fair share of issues too. Later on I had the V8 and it was far more fun to own. Luck of the draw I guess. I've got an E65 at the moment with what appears to be the only N62 engine without faults lol.

Oooo nice! I would love to get the V8 - might have to look into it :-)

The M54 has plenty of its own flaws. The older 6's are far more reliable and robust in that regard.

Oooo nice! I would love to get the V8 - might have to look into it :-)

You only live once. But perhaps I abide by that philosophy a little too much lol..

You only live once. But perhaps I abide by that philosophy a little too much lol..

Not a bad way to live from time to time :-)