Sign in to follow this  
booloveblankie

Finally Bought an E30

Hi there,

I'm Blake from Auckland. Been lurking for a long time, waiting for a time where a nice E30 came up AND I had the money to buy it.

Bought Jaydubs 325i a couple months ago. It's in pretty good nick for a 25 y/o car. Few things here and there, but no major dramas (although the fuel pump did crap out on me!).

post-2855-1296354382.jpg

So far, I've attempted to treat a few minor patches of rust to stop them from spreading, but the Alpinweiss I was sold didn't quite match. Better than nothing, though! Car had a spare sunroof in the boot, so I tried to paint that to match with the same paint, so it's nice and rust free but not exactly the same shade of white... Still deciding which to keep in. Current rust-bubbled but right colour or rust free, no clearcoat, overly white sunroof...

Gearshift was like a plunger - bushings well gone! - so I took the opportunity to purchase an understeer budget SSK (40% reduction), ERK and UUC dual sheer selector rod. Installed the SSK and ERK (PITA!) and attempted the DSSR, but 1989 has a different selector joint so it didn't really want to fit...

Other things I have bought: Braided brake lines, new rear subframe bushings, front control arm bushings, cambelt, waterpump, idler bearing, e32 750li brake master cylinder, driveshaft coupling, Valvoline 20W50 XLD Premium - fully organic. And probably more...

Currently in at the mechanics getting these fitted as well as diff and gearbox oil change. I initially pretended I had the mechanical capability to perform most of these, but between working weekends and full-time University, I just don't currently have the time. I did do the engine oil change at home, though!

Eventually will change:
ZHP/Illuminated or ZHP Illuminated shift knob
LSD
Quicker Steering Rack

Also, something clutch related is about to go. It's not slipping (that I can tell) but the bite point is all over the place. Tossing up between an f'd flywheel or the clutch master/slave. Could it even be a simple fluid change? I do have a spare competition clutch plate, but no new flywheel or pressure plate. Can these be reused? Can the (dual mass?) flywheel be machined?
Advice appreciated!

Blake

Welcome to BS, and that's a nice car! Noticed you can buy the 1989+ selector joint from UUC. Are you going to be doing that?

is that alpine white? looks like ice white to me. Theres also and alpine white II

Welcome to BS, and that's a nice car! Noticed you can buy the 1989+ selector joint from UUC. Are you going to be doing that?

Thanks mate, I bought a joint from MTC instead (same thing but $7 instead of $45). Quality seems a bit lower but it's just a cast iron join with some delrin inside, so I'm not too concerned.

is that alpine white? looks like ice white to me. Theres also and alpine white II

It is Alpinweiss II (according to the plate in the engine bay). The paint shop said they had colours on file, but their colour is a lot whiter. To their credit, it is possible the car is a bit faded

Looks great, a twin to my black Mtech II! Have you found the throw and precision improved by quite a bit? Keen to do the same as I'm finding too much play with the Z3 short shifter

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Edited by sonny5cy

Looks great, a twin to my black Mtech II! Have you found the throw and precision improved by quite a bit?

Nice car!

I'll let you know when the car is back from the mechanics - with new bushings and DSSR, but from swapping out the plunger for the SSK it's drastically reduced. Still a bit of play as I wasn't able to replace the bushings hiding at the top of the gearbox, but nothing near as bad as what it was.

Sweet car you have there. Welcome to the forums.

So nice. I need those wheels. Needs a chunkier tyre to fill out the guards tho?

So nice. I need those wheels. Needs a chunkier tyre to fill out the guards tho?

Thanks mate. Rim is a 7" and tyre is 195, but still plenty of tread so wont be replacing them any time soon. A 10-15mm spacer would probably do it but I'm not spending any money until I get this coming mechanics bill...

If you take the original sun roof and the paint tin you bought back to where you bought it they should be able to re- tint the paint to match at no cost...

I have done a lot of painting over the years and most paint guys are very helpful.

Good luck, love the car too, very nice!

I had the DSSR and Evo3 SSK from UUC and it was an amazing difference compared to the old 17 year bushings and linkages!! Have you thought avout a braided clutch line? Some people have had great improvements from a seemingly small mod per clutch feel

Have you thought avout a braided clutch line? Some people have had great improvements from a seemingly small mod per clutch feel

I'll keep that in mind!