Sign in to follow this  
kwhelan

Models with run flats by default

After looking into buying 1 series it seems they all come with run flats.Is this a jap import only thing and is it only the one series.

I just don't like the thought of being stranded on a long weekend somewhere because theres no tyre shop open and then they don't have the right size apart from the sheer cost of having to replace rather than repair.

I guess you could always buy a spacesaver to keep in the back but who wants that sitting in your boot all the time.

What does everyone with newer cars do now.

Same with the 3series - no boot space for a spare either. You can get a compressor + goo kit (which i have) but it still makes me nervous. I also have an AA membership just in case.

Edit: its not just jap imports - my E90 is nz new.... Genius idea in NZ.

Edited by elmarco

my nz new 2005 120d is run flat only.You wont be stranded, that s the idea.You know when they are going down cos of the pressure monitoring system

Don't see how knowing helps if theres no shop within miles and they're shut for say easter,Im sure when you hit a big pothole south of taihape late on a sunday night and monday is a holiday things are quite that simple. Fine if you live in Auckland with 24hr service and plenty of shops to source a replacement. Ive wrecked 2 tyres in last 2 years both not my fault and glad i Had a jack and a spare.

Don't see how knowing helps if theres no shop within miles and they're shut for say easter,Im sure when you hit a big pothole south of taihape late on a sunday night and monday is a holiday things are quite that simple. Fine if you live in Auckland with 24hr service and plenty of shops to source a replacement. Ive wrecked 2 tyres in last 2 years both not my fault and glad i Had a jack and a spare.

Run.flats are almost indescructible.if You know they are going down you have the.opportunity to slow down,and drive where you are going.

I think you can drive about 80 ks on a flat run flat at a reduced speed

Run.flats are almost indescructible.if You know they are going down you have the.opportunity to slow down,and drive where you are going.

I think you can drive about 80 ks on a flat run flat at a reduced speed

80kms is still no good if you are in Taihape!

Agreed,i would rather have a full size spare too.however I have had three punctures since about 1990.

One was in the middle of the night on the takapau plains,one was in napier playing bridal cars,and one was on the way home from work.in all cases a run flat would have got me to a tyre place.

One of those flats was because the tyre was virtually worn through on the inside edge

Agreed,i would rather have a full size spare too.however I have had three punctures since about 1990.

One was in the middle of the night on the takapau plains,one was in napier playing bridal cars,and one was on the way home from work.in all cases a run flat would have got me to a tyre place.

One of those flats was because the tyre was virtually worn through on the inside edge

and the cost was a new tyre? not a free repair at tonys tyres, I was told possibly incorrectly you can't fix a run flat especially if its been driven while flat

Those flats were normal tyres.i ruined the tyre on the Takapau plains.

I dont know about fixing run flats

I am not recommending them just responding to the OP

They bloody hard riding too

Edited by kiwi535

Thanks Just trying to get my head around the whole issue,Damn these new cars,Was keen to see what others do,Sounds like your in the lap of the luck gods really,

Has the potential to be quite awkward and expensive and I guess designed around overseas conditions.smooth flat roads,lots of towns and millions of 24hr tyre shops

Do BMW at least include a jack and wheelbrace

Reading overseas forums it looks like they can get tyre replacement insurance like we do glass here, that would make sense.

Nobody from a tyre shop with a viewpoint?

Edited by kwhelan

My 120 has no jack or wheelbrace.

Run flsts are also ecpensive.my first two were 400 each.For a 205 55 16.i couldn't get comtinentals or bridgestones didny want hankooks.got Pirelli nicer tyre,better riding than the other two.Had to get them was xmas,and was going awayThe next two matching Pirelli were about 300 each exactly same tyre from the same shop!

and the cost was a new tyre? not a free repair at tonys tyres, I was told possibly incorrectly you can't fix a run flat especially if its been driven while flat

If you've got run flats fitted to your car and you get a slow puncture (a small nail for example), then you get a slow and gradual loss of pressure. The car lets you know fairly quickly that you have a flat and you generally have plenty of time to find a tyre shop. Opinions differ from tyre manufacturer to tyre manufacturer, but if the tyre hasn't lost much pressure and there hasn't been excessive heat build up in the sidewalls (causing weakening of the rubber or delamination of the layers) then it's safe to repair the tyre to the same guidelines you would a normal tyre. If you lose all pressure and have to drive 80k's then obviously the tyre is goosed, I've seen tyres that have been driven over 100k's + totally flat and the central section of the tread has come away from the inner sidewall due to the heat and friction cutting through the rubber. Generally I think they're a good idea but if you're going into no mans land it's always reassuring to have a spare.

: )

Bugger.bloody run flat indicator came on this morning on the motorway, kept going was pretty flat when I got to work!

Must be slowish,pumped up at lunch time reset indicator,went to lunch came back not gone off again yet.I cant see it can be too accurate,must be quite a varistion in wheel speed driving around town and suburbs

My E60 came with Run Flats. The old owner drove from Hokitika to Chch all throughout the week.

They were ditched for a full size wheel pretty early on.

So now I have a full size wheel in my boot and no run flats.

I got an electric hydraulic jack and a wheel brace. But still have a good amount of space taken up.

The BMW mobility kit is recommended if you are just driving around town.

I have the BMW Mobility kit, no more run flats, in fact i have a puncture that cant be fixed due to flex in the side wall and the idrive will alert me when the pressure drops by around 5psi/kpa or something like that, if all else fails i have the AA. Not a big deal

My tyre man wont fix the run flat.Its a screw right in the middle of the tread.Its a slow leak,5 psi a day max.The BMW dealer said they would fix it.Too late for me,i have ordered a new tyre,they are gonna give me a one off price

That a bit in a day, mine was over about 2 or 3 weeks

That a bit in a day, mine was over about 2 or 3 weeks

thats absolute max,rfa hasnt gone off again,cant be any more precise,just going of service station gauges,not happy.i wont buy another car with run flats if I can avoid it

120 had an oil change today,jeff gray told me that that they woulda fixed it,no guarantees tho.not sure what that means.new owner will get a half worn tyre with a screw in it in the hatch!