Sign in to follow this  
Tilbo

E36 suspension

So my 318i just failed it's wof on leaking front shocks. I'm currently weighing up the options of:

1. Replace front shocks only
2. Replace all four shocks
3. Install Coilovers

Is replacing the front shocks only a good idea? How much should a set cost? Do I really need coilovers?

I like to have my car low (currently on Dobi springs) but I wouldn't like it much lower as I need to get it on/off my driveway. The car will not be taken to the track as it's only a 318i.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Adam

Unless you plan on tracking your car regularly I wouldn't bother with coilovers. Add certification cost to the struts & springs price and you've spent the same as a new set of Bilsteins. Plus the E36 was never designed to take spring load in the rear arch so you're opening yourself up to more problems there if running a true coilover setup in the rear. Do all four at the same time unless you have proof that the rears are reasonably new. Sucks having to get an alignment twice in 6 months!

Just had a look on Pelican Parts, full set of Bilstein heavy duty shocks is $1120 shipped. You'll probably need to factor in import duty of 15% (?) so call it $1200 round. You could find cheaper locally but the last I saw the going rate for fronts alone was $475 ea. Lesser shocks can be had for much cheaper but I've found you get what you pay for.

Another option for overseas supply is Demon Tweeks - faster and cheaper shipping than from the US.

Thankyou for the replies. So far, I have gathered quotes from three garages.

Monroe Reflex Front $495 pair

Rear $240 Pair

Monroe GT Front $520 pair

Monroe ?? Front $560 pair

I would prefer to buy locally because I don't want to muck about with shipping and duty tax crap. Are Monroes really that bad? They seem reasonably priced. As I said before, the car will never see a track, only the occasional 'spirited' drive on a back road perhaps. Mostly it will just be driving to work.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

From my experience Monroe's have inferior handling and a short life span. KYB's shouldn't be much if (more any) and are far better.

Munroe are good at doing their Commercial and 4x4 stuff etc,

but not much good for road cars

I put monroes on my 540i, totally ruined the handling!! First and last time i will buy them! It handled better on the original shocks and they had 270k on them and were totally knackered.

Ring Stocks in Mt Wellington and price some KYBs.

Unless you want to improve handling in which case go Koni, your choice

unnecessary really, not too fussed.

I gathered some more quotes today for KYBs rather than Monroes. There was only $35 in it between Stocks, Mag & Turbo, and Supercheap with Stocks and M&T @$349ea Front.

But then Stocks said they have Konis for $313ea...

Looks like I will be going ahead and buying some Konis!

Bought the Koni STR.Ts. The rear shocks were fitted today along with new heavy duty mounts with the help of my boss. We used his hoist so it was a piece of piss. Fronts will be fitted tomorrow at a garage as they are beyond my skill set. Really happy with how the rear felt driving home. It will feel like a new car!

They are decent shocks for the coin, i was lucky to get a whole set for $550 on my old E34.