Sign in to follow this  
moktar

Cracking Falken Azenis tyres

Hi, I have purchased a set of unused Falken azenis 225/45/17 tyres. These tyres had been sitting in a garage away from direct sunlight for a few years and i was aware of this when purchasing them.

I have found that all the tyres all have small hairline cracks through the tread pattern or water grooves nearly all the way around the tyre.

What is your guys opinion on these. Are they completely rooted and unsafe? or would they be ok to use and warrantable?

I am thinking of either selling them or using them as burnout tyres if they are unsafe.

Many Thanks,

post-659-0-82595400-1403645677.jpg

post-659-0-79980500-1403645683.jpg

post-659-0-93413500-1403645690.jpg

Also they are the wrong size if you are on 17x 7.5s on your E36 - correct size is 235/40/17

Whats wrong with 225s?

these cant be anyworse than supercats in any size?

Edited by pldubs

My bridgestones are about 8 years old and have similar cracking.

Despite being close to worn out the tyres have plenty of wet and dry grip. Shitloads more than any brand new cheap (sub $150) tyre I've ever used.

Are they perfect? No. Are they safe? Yes.

If they were kingstars I would bin them but a decent brand will be fine.

• Like 1

I can only find 2 series of numbers (M073000 and PR-157-0) and from a quick google search i cant work out if this is the manufacture date or not.

The tyres will be going on style 5s to fit an E28.

But as i have spent alot of time on the wheels i think i may sell these and buy some good quality tyres to suit.

Thanks for your help.

Skids :)

Have to agree re: better than sh1t brand tyres though. Had some almost entirely bald RE01-R (literally only had the two centre grooves remaining) which were better in the rain than some near new Sava Intensas

I can only find 2 series of numbers (M073000 and PR-157-0) and from a quick google search i cant work out if this is the manufacture date or not.

The tyres will be going on style 5s to fit an E28.

But as i have spent alot of time on the wheels i think i may sell these and buy some good quality tyres to suit.

Thanks for your help.

The code will be 4 numbers somewhere on the sidewall. ie: 0312 which means 3rd week of 2012.

When I got my car, the tires were old ( like 6 or 7 years from memory ) but were still warrant able. They had laughably bad grip in the wet. It was fun, but got rid of them pretty quickly after I drifted across 2 lanes heading southbound just after the bridge.

Edited by vtgts300kw

That turn is horrible in the rain.. especially with those people who think they can cut across 4 or 5 lanes on a high speed turn

That turn is horrible in the rain.. especially with those people who think they can cut across 4 or 5 lanes on a high speed turn

Yeah. I drive through it everyday and see some absolute idiots.

What is the one thing that makes contact with the road on your car?

How good do you want that contact to be?

How much do you value your life and that of your family?

How much do you valve the lives of other road users?

I make no apologies for asking these questions. If in doubt throw the bloody things away and get some good rubber on your machine it may hurt your pocket yes but only in the short term. It also may be the difference from walking away from a situation or being in a pine box a bit mellow dramatic maybe. Do you want to live with that thought if only I had.

I have got some Falken azenis on the wife's Evo X and they have cracks in them as well. Don't worry about it as they don't last long :)