Sign in to follow this  
sonny5cy

E30 Bilsteins shocks rebuild or replace?

I need some advice relating to shocks and springs I have in my e30. The car is making knocking noises from the left rear every now and then and I guess the shock is on its way out. The car has Bilstein springs and shocks; they give a good drop in height while giving me a firm but comfortable ride. This has come at a bad time and I don't have a lot of money to spare on the car, so I am looking at a financially prudent option. A few questions:

Is it worth while for me to rebuild the Bilstein shocks?

How much approx for new replacements?

What are other alternative brands out there that could provide a similar level of drop/ride?

Not sure if this has been covered in the forum before, a quick search hasn't turned up much.Thanks any advice would be great as I have never dealt with suspensions before

You probably want to make sure it isnt just a worn bush ( or 4) before you throw money at new shocks, most decent suspension places will be able to put it up on a hoist and check them.

Out of curiosity what's the second hand value of the bilsteins?

I had similar senario and for what its worth I went with coilovers, one of the best investments I've made so far.

My front right has been knocking for a bit but now getting worse and was quoted 250 each for a rebuild

+1 for on the hoist investigate, another thing easterly overlooked is the top mount bush for the shocks. Don’t discount sway bar links and bushes it is even wort disconnecting them for a short drive to see if there is any change.

Edited by 87M3@NZ

I had mine re-built 4 times in 12 months when I had a Subaru , each time it lasted about 2-3 weeks before knocking, sticking and loss of performance due to heating

That is nothing to do with bilsteins and everything to do with poor workmanship and/or wrong shock for the job

• Like 1