Sign in to follow this  
Beeker2

advice needed on seized hex bolt

I have a smallish hex bolt on an M3 RTA. Its ex UK and quite corroded.

The inside hex is stripped and i've tried vice grips on the outside without luck.

I've also soaked in penetrating oil.

Any ideas on the next step to get it out?

Hacksaw a screw head into it or ?

2218E1C8-3E61-4F15-AC76-7276E8D6CEA1_zps

Try a centre punch to help loosen it and a Bit of heat if you can and try smash a bigger hex socket in it

Edited by euroriffic

I have a smallish hex bolt on an M3 RTA. Its ex UK and quite corroded.

The inside hex is stripped and i've tried vice grips on the outside without luck.

I've also soaked in penetrating oil.

Any ideas on the next step to get it out?

Hacksaw a screw head into it or ?

2218E1C8-3E61-4F15-AC76-7276E8D6CEA1_zps

Impactdriver and hammer and bigger hexkey

yep, or get an EZout set, can get knock offs from Repco and what not, my one has got me out of a sticky situation twice which is more than I have ever asked of it!

If you have access to a welder, put an old allen key in and weld it to the bolt, the heat will help loosen it and it should undo!!

If you're careful you can drill the head off, the angle of the bit means the head pops off before digging into whatever it's holding down (if you're not hamfisted). Or you can stop just before it drills through and hammer it off. The rounded hole of the allen head acts as a guide for the drill.

Once the item is removed there should be enough exposed thread to grab with the grips, and no force on the bolt so it should undo easier (and you can get the penetrating oil right into the threads).

+1 to the EZout. Managed to use one for an M3 screw once, was so proud.

You can get a shitty chinese set for like 10. I then sharpened the cutter a bit as it was awful, then it was a combination of pushing down as hard as I could and pulsing the turning of the cutter until it finally bit.

The squeaking of the rusty M3 was a wonderful sound!

Impacting or using heat is going to damage the speed censor. I would drill the head off, try to remove it with the sensor out of the way. If it won't come out, accurately drill out the seized stud and install a heli coil. Dont try using an easy out on such a small stud in a badly rusted UK suspension component. If the easy out breaks you'll need a new hub....... good luck