Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

Interesting Concept

2030 headline - Software bug kills 20 in highway pileup...

• Like 4

Wholly implausible for 15 years away.

I have nightmares about this level of vehicle autonomy. First three pedals, now two pedals, next no pedals?!

• Like 1

I think they miss the point of cars being such personal items even to non car people... they give such a sense of independence and freedom to do what you want, when you want and go where ever.

Why would you substitute that for a glorified taxi with no driver??

All they are trying to do is reinvent the taxi in a techno futuristic style on a mass scale. Good for a movie of sorts but that is about it.... Johnny Cab anyone??

To get from a to b I'd much prefer some sort of teleport fly splicer. That would get the masses off the roads and then I could enjoy driving without having to watch out for Mr "I have no idea what I'm doing".

So, basically what he wants is a fleet of cars powered by pixie dust driving themselves around 24/7 until someone needs them, rather than a fleet of cars parked up using no energy at all until someone needs them. Sounds like he's thought that through pretty well, where do i sign up?

• Like 3

Wholly implausible for 15 years away.

I have nightmares about this level of vehicle autonomy. First three pedals, now two pedals, next no pedals?!

1 pedel, you push it once to go, and you push it a second time to stop. its like future video games and hot chicks, you push 1 button to win,

It's not too unreasonable. He's right in that we practically never use our cars outside the commute to work and a drive down the gassy to fill up on the way to the supermarket.

The idea is entirely plausible given human advancement.

The timeframe seems several decades short, minimum.

Who's paying for it? And how? How do you overcome the transition from one infrastructure to the other? That's either a gulfing chasm in downtime switching from a fossil fuel environment to an alternative, or massive expenditure in replicating roading somehow.

Well... it would be nice to have no taxi drivers by 2030....

• Like 1