Sign in to follow this  
tangalife

E39 540i Oils to use?

Going to change out engine and diff oils this weekend, whats the best oils to use for both and how much estimated should I need?

I can guarantee you will get 10 different answers and go search google to get another 100 more.

Make up your own mind. Some say castrol 5-3 some say mobil 1 0-40 some say penrite list goes on and on

Mobil 1 5-40W full synthetic is what i used to use. I think any good quality synthetic 0-10 would be fine, would need about 8L

There must surely be an oil that is commonly agreed on?

no such thing in forum land

• Like 1

I habe used penrite 10w50. Biggest thing is check it meets at least bmw ll01 grade. Anything with that will be compatable. Better is bmw ll04. Other than that is opinion

no such thing in forum land

Haha thats right.

Last time i checked repco had castrol edge fully synthetic 5-30 amongst other stuff for around $50 per 5L.

You should get 2 bottles 10L should take 7.5L. Store the rest for next time so u only need to buy 1 bottle

Going to change out engine and diff oils this weekend, whats the best oils to use for both and how much estimated should I need?

Have unused diff oil for an E39 540i. PM me if interested.

I also used Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 full synthetic - quite pricey but very good and often on special at Supercheap.

So 5w-40 is the right one fpr a 540i...?

From what I recall reading in the owners handbook of my old vanos 540i, 5w40 is best suited for our climate. The po has a pre-vanos m62 so the oil grade might be different.

Yep 5W-40 full synthetic for NZ climate for the M62TUB44. Not sure what the recommended is for the non-vanos M62