Sign in to follow this  
roo

E34 Seat Twist

Hi guys

Passenger seat on my E34 twists when you go to recline it. Only one side moves back and forth while the other stays still. Common problem it seems for E34's and E39's. Has anyone had success using the below methods? First one seems super easy without having to remove the seat, people in the comments said it worked for them too.

yes have done the shorten the hose trick a few times

Did you do it with the seat in the car Brent? Or remove it?

Did you do it with the seat in the car Brent? Or remove it?

much easier to remove it, only two bolts at the back, and one for the seatbelt, and then unlcip the wiring harness on the bottom as you pull it out if it has electric seats. 3 minutes to pull out, and easier to work on it on a bench save your back etc

if it has electric seats.

You need to increase your medication Andy..... the subject is about electric seats

You need to increase your medication Andy..... the subject is about electric seats

i was meaning as a general guide for removing E34 seats.

yes worked well, i removed the seats too, much easier to work on.

I have done it two or three times and it works well. It is so much easier to take the seats out to do anything like this that I don't even think twice about it. I also take the seat out to change the microfilter, as that is a total pain with a clutch pedal in the way on RHD cars.

The Bentley manual also reminds you that you are supposed to disarm the seat belt pretensioner before taking the seats out.

Thanks guys. Did this over the weekend, super easy. Both headrests weren't working so did them with the seats in place and then removed the passenger seat to fix the twist. Really happy to have it all working now!

Edited by roo

My headrests aren't working either, I wouldn't mind but they're in the "up" position. :-/

Who ever needed electric headrests anyway? I'd have rather had proper cupholders..