Sign in to follow this  
benn

Convertible parking...

I'm looking at pulling the trigger on an e36 convertible - but I'm a bit worried about what peoples attitude will be to the car. It looks pretty flash and I don't want to have to always worry about people keying it - throwing an icecream onto the seats - or cutting the roof.

Any other convertible owners care to mention? I was thinking if I didn't keep it tooo shiny (not overly waxed) and parked it in reasonable places it wouldn't be too much trouble.

I had an mx5 and had no problems parking that top down everywhere - but an 325 is a whole other ballgame. :/

I dont think people would cut your roof aye, never really heard of that happening, you should be sweet, and for the icecream thing, dont park in places where that would happen with the top down, and if it happens while your driving , just keep a brick in the glove box and chuck it at them. aim for the person who did it but if you hit there car thats all good too.

keying it - throwing an icecream onto the seats - or cutting the roof.

That's a great way to take you down a peg or two. Lousy flash ****, think youre better than me just because your car doesn't have roof, hehehe this $8 Movenpick will show you.

Convertibles are dope son!

But just be careful anywhere you park your car really, always the top on parking buildings even when they are empty i reckon, and on well lit streets, and make sure people know you have a good alarm????? ei led etc, i worry all night about my car on my g/f's street but park under a street light and always put the alarm on no matter what the neighbours think.

Sweet thats me.

We have no problems with our canvas topped Wrangler. It has never been tampered with at all.

Cheers

Grant

My friend's Z3's roof got cut once.

$6000 to get replaced at dealer.

Lucky insurance paid most of that.

Having said that, get a decent alarm with microwave sensor, don't put valuables in sight (even just a shopping bag), etc.... common sense stuff, you should be sweet.

Hmmm... good topic and relavent to me right now. I'm looking at selling my iS and getting a Z3.

Wife and I were discussing about the roof being cut or what ever.

End of the day -- that's what insurance is for. I guess if you expect that it WILL happen one day, it wont be so 'gut wrenching' when it does.

Not a very good attitude, but it's better than thinking the world is a perfect place and then getting all uptight about a canvas roof.

There's no way the convertible would sit on the road over night, if that's what you're thinking. Maybe I'm paranoid after having the Legacy stolen, but I'm 100% confident that the roof would get cut. It's just too easy. And even on the E30, people still pass the odd comment about being a bit "flash". MX-5? My cousin had his tyres slashed on his, only car in the car park to be touched (guess they didn't cut the roof though). During the day it's not too much of a hassle, just park it where you can see it. At the end of the day, as a second car, it's all worth it for a strop down a country road.

Not sure if its any indicator, because people could be taking them to Auckland Auto Trimmers or the like, but the entire time i have worked at Jerry Claytons, we havent replaced a roof. We replace windows on M3's and X5's daily however

Not sure if its any indicator, because people could be taking them to Auckland Auto Trimmers or the like, but the entire time i have worked at Jerry Claytons, we havent replaced a roof. We replace windows on M3's and X5's daily however

Slightly off topic....

When was that you work at JC?

My friend's Z3 had the work done there~!

Anyway, you guys has much better service than Team McMill's

The really sad bit about all of this is a bunch of scrotums are affecting your choice of car.

If someone wants in, I dont think its going to matter if its conv or not.

bastards certainly didnt think twice about smashing the window on mine.

thread wires through the canvas and hook it up to a battery, it will give any clown with a knife a helluva surprise.

For all the disadvantages (security, wank factor, cost) I keep coming back to those moments of clarity where I think of taking the roof down and dropping the hammer in 1st.

Edited by benn

Though i dont have a BMW convertable, i have owned a convertable since 1999.

Its an old car and does not have an alarm. Nor a very good locking system. It does have a safety switch that i installed, to prevent anyone trying to get away with it.

I have never had a problem with the car being damaged. Use it alot during the summer, park it in town with the hood down, but it does have a half cover that protects it a little. Never had the " ice cream" treatment.

The worst i have had is a line up of people wanting to know what it is and where it came from. Most people have a reasonable attitude.

My 2 cents.

Dont let it puit you off owning one, you just need to have garaging, and want one!

Edited by Hartage