Sign in to follow this  
rxhoon

E46 Diffs

Hi Can anyone tell me with roughly the power handling capability's of the factory e46 diffs.

I have a 318 and know I will need to up grade but possibly would like to run a medium case if possible.

looking to have 400 rwhp.

Thanks

yea easy just a pod filter and bean can muffler will do that :)

Quote: "You know what? This will decimate all, after, you put about fifteen grand in it or more. If we have to, overnight parts from Japan."

Metric Mechanics have a bunch of good reading re BMW diffs. It's all in how much torque your diff is receiving and a combination of the R&P gearing inside that'll effect the longevity. Without delving too deep, I imagine there was a genuine reason BMW jumped up the diff sizing in the cars released with larger and more powerful engines...

For what it's worth though, the 188mm diff seems a pretty good option for any BMW owner in a regular real world scenario. They're plentiful, every type of R&P gearing available without searching too hard, they're strong and reliable. Makes me wonder why I chased a bunch of stuff around for a large case anyway.

I was going to be fitting a xr6 turbo engine which was far to tall for engine bay so I have sold the engine and now going to be going rotary so could be 400+hp from a 1.3ltr turbo or 2ltr N/A

Not sure what the max torque loading is of the small or medium case diff for an e46. Although It is possible to swap a medium case for a small case with out having to mod the sub -frame as I have not long done it on my e46 Ti.

Edited by tim 325

I may just put two ''Dumpy's" on it now.

Thanks Tim There seems to be a few good ratio medium case diffs available.

Its only a rotary so torque wont be huge. Car will predominately be a track car .