Sign in to follow this  
Jazzbass

Plates legality

There was some discussion some time ago regarding the legality of Europlates bought from overseas. Has that been resolved? Is it legal (wof/insurance/police) or not?

I'd like to Europlate my car, 'cos it just looks better to my eyes. (I'm old, they stand out better - :D )

Also, if legal, best prices from www.europlates.com ?

Theyre not legal.

The only place you may get them from is Plates.co.nz as they are the official and only manufacturer for New Zealand. Anything else is not genuine and legal, hence being cheap as they are effectively 'kockoffs'.

They are only legal for people who cant afford the proper things :)

they are illegal despite having all the qualities to what a plate should hold. But i mean ... ive been through a VTNZ wof with no problems, I odnt think anyone heres had problems with the police. Im sure as long as you keep your legitimate plate number you should be fine.

Edited by E30stz

It's not a WOF requirement, but the police can ticket you if they like as you are not displaying legitimate plates.

Risk it. Alot of people do. Including me - mine arrived from the UK today...

A mate of mine, whos girlfriend was studying law at the time has done a bucket load of research regarding this, particularly around the requirements for front number plates on cars that dont suit standard front plates....MX5s...E Type Jaguar etc.

While some authorities take the line that you must use that NZ issued plates, that best the research came up with is that your plates should match front and rear.

In fact it would appear that in theory you could issue your own number plates so long as they were unique.....I'm guessing that would be an interesting court case!

ie. If your are using plates that are black letters on a white background, then both front and rear plates should be the same.

The whole thing is dodgy, and the law doesnt actually state what plates you need to run. The law refers to guidelines printed in the Gazette, and the research seemed to find that there wasnt anything in the Gazette.

However if you intend to use the car in a Motorsport Event, that requires road registration, the MNZ regulations require you to have NZ LTSA issued number plates.

I would suggest that as Personalised Plates issue "Euro Plates", and oddballs like the message plates, and the investment/red plates, I cant imagine the Personalised Plates have to go to the LTSA or Motor Reg for ever plate variation, and hence its unlikely that you could be pulled up for using Genuine Euro Plates, so long as you own rights to the original number plate.

I would be guessing that when you are pulled up and the cop does a vehicle query on your car, he isnt going to get a response that details what type of number plate you are using, and the only difference may be size and type of font, and maybe how reflective the number plate is. The cop isnt going to be able to check the last point.

My question is, as I seem to see this often, does a car need to display a plate both front and rear in the exact spot where the plate holders are located, ie, centrally positioned at the bumper level.

Secondly, is it legal to have your plate mounted at any level other than exactly horizontal, ie, can you have it dangling vertically?

theres tonnes of exotics and convertables that just have sticker numberplates... they would be less legal than the german plates.. there not even reflective.

No, it does not have to be exactly where the old plates are.

And it can be on an angle.

As long as the legal licence plates are easily readable and that speed cameras can pick up on them then it's fine.

Got pulled over for speeding a while back with German Europlates on, they didn't say anything about that.

I haven't had any problems with them since I put mine on in April. I've actually had a number of European people come and start talking to me asking if I was German :D

Tilting your number plate is downright gay - no question about it.

Here's a question then.. I've got red plates from PP that didn't really suit my green e36, but now it's a silver one the red looks mighty fine on the rear... but doesn't do much for the front. So I was thinking of getting a set of Euro plates, red on white for the back and black on white for the front.. but you reckon they have to be the same front & rear? Hmmm. I'm also thinking red euro plates might draw more plod attention since we have red plates, and we have euro plates, but we don't have red euro plates... still reflective though. ;)

They are only legal for people who cant afford the proper things :)

I can afford the proper things, but fail to see why I should have to pay such an inordinate amount of money for the things.

Jazz, if you want a GB plate like mine rather than a German one let me know and Ill try and dig out the website of the place I got mine from when I was over there.

Was thenumberplatewarehouse.com or something.

www.gtgrafix.com I thought they were good because when I asked about changing a few details like the font etc, they were happy to do whatever I wanted. I just had to send them a sample. Nice guys to deal with, fast deivery from the UK and would deal with them again.

bad photos I know but my camera sux... put these on last nite:

post-2-1131567462.jpg

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

Well what about this:

I've had my plates stuck up with fragile tape on the inside of my car on the windopws while I was waiting for the mounting frames to arrive. I've been pulled over a number of times but is it actually illegal to have them there?

A mate of mine, whos girlfriend was studying law at the time has done a bucket load of research regarding this, particularly around the requirements for front number plates on cars that dont suit standard front plates....MX5s...E Type Jaguar etc.

Did some research of my own (did a year of law school about 6 years ago so I think I know everything lol).

Anyway, S14(1) of the Transport Act 1986 says:

14.Form of registration plates and licences—

(1)The Minister may from time to time, by notice in the Gazette,— 

(a)Prescribe the form and colour of registration plates and licences, the size, shape, and character of the letters, numbers, or distinguishing marks to be shown on them, and the means to be adopted to make the plates and licences easily visible: 

(b)Prescribe the number of registration plates to be displayed and the position or positions in which registration plates and licences are to be displayed.

Thus confirming that the rules should be published in the Gazette. Off to have a look in there now...

Edit: Can only search notices online from 1993 onwards here, I found nothing - must be in an earlier gazette.

Edited by bravomikewhiskey

So it seems that, legally - its not a problem. Its a grey area and it all depends on how picky some official can be? Surely, as long as they clearly show the vehicles registration numbers, they do what they are designed for?? They're certainly better than the cars with a towbar in front of the plate, so you can't actually read the whole thing - and there's plenty of those out there.

I ordered mine yesterday and I'll just keep the old ones wrapped in a rag in my spare wheel bay, just in case.

Thanks for all the input.

Rog.

Legally, it IS a problem. If a cop does decide to take exception to it you don't have a leg to stand on. In practice though it's as you say, it is a grey area and will depend on how picky the cop is being.

it is illegal full stop.

you try fight it you will lose.

Legally, it IS a problem. If a cop does decide to take exception to it you don't have a leg to stand on. In practice though it's as you say, it is a grey area and will depend on how picky the cop is being.

It really depends on how far you want to take it.

The cop is dishing out the ticket based on his guidelines/intereptation of the law.

As has been highlighted the law is unclear.....the reason it cant be found in the late Gazette's cos it isnt there.

If it was there it would actually be later than '93, to cover Personalised Plate's Euro, Red, Blue and message plates.

It would be a simple matter of taking it to court with a decent lawyer....I'm guessing a decision would be made, probably in your favour....and then the law would be reviewed!

The cops are only enforcing the law as they believe it is supposed to be done.

Sometimes they are wrong. The biggest mistake most people make when dealing with the Police is trying to argue that case with the Cop.

The Cop pulls you up, and writes you a ticket, he is doing it because he believes you are in the wrong. Generally there is little point in trying to argue the law with him (unless you are carrying a copy of the Traffic Regulations with you and you want to end up on a radio debate with his supervisor), its far easier to argue the point in court, or to point out the error of his way in a letter in response to the ticket.

Perfectly reasonable post mate.

I guess, sooner or later, it will be taken to court and someone, somewhere will have to give a definitive direction. If we have to revert to our std issue, so what - the Europlates only cost $80 - some people spend more than that at a pub for one night's drinking....

Driving with fogs on is supposed to be illegal too - try and find a car which is fitted with fogs and which are NOT turned on at night....very low % from my observations.

Front fog isn't so bad, but the rear fog really bugs the sh*t out of me.

Front fog isn't so bad, but the rear fog really bugs the sh*t out of me.

People that dont know how to turn off their rear fog lights :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :rambo: :rambo:

Rear fogs are useful when someone is tailgating you on a twisty road at night. Hit the rear fogs at the same time as the accelerator. They brake, you go. (at least that's the theory).

I have used the rear fogs when I've been in Hamilton, but never anywhere else. AFAIK, Hamilton is fog central in the North Island. In dense fog, other cars can be real hard to see, so anything which alerts others to my presence works for me. But I agree - turn the feckers off when not needed!!