Sign in to follow this  
BMW328CI

what supercharger should i get for a bmw 328ci?

Hey new to this forum.... am thinking of supercharging my Bmw 328ci 1999 e46. Wondering if anyone knows how much is cost for the supercharger and to be installed? also what eles would need to be done to the engine if anything? cheers :)

Looked into this. Decided it was uneconomical. To do it properly you have to spend so much money you might as well just save it and buy an m3.

• Like 2

I browsed this option a while back.

Around $6500 USD for Supercharger Alone, thats a fairly basic all round one to produce 365hp at the crank, and then there is shipping, Customs, Installation, tuning, deciphering whether the stock running gear can handle that much extra power etc etc.

Just buy an M3. Seriously..

Edited by MISS BM
  • Like 1

You also risk total engine failure if not done correctly.

Even then I suspect it's not such an engine suitable for boost like most BMW engines in modern years. (Pre their stock turbocharged ones)

Plenty of Turbo Japanese engines you could swap in place with effortless reliability.

Have followed a couple of supercharged m52 build threads on e46fanatics.com - I'd advise against it. They're spending upwards of 10kUSD for full installation along with additional drivetrain parts to handle the power, and even then that doesn't guarantee reliability.
If your 328CI isn't manual you'll also have a hard time with the slushbox with that amount of power.

I'd advise against it, If you have the cash for a supercharger then you can save a little more, sell the 328ci and buy an M3.

• Like 1

how much do you want to spend?

how much can you do yourself?

how long do you want it to take?

if you'd like to diy it i'm sure there are plenty of people that can give some advice.

Cheers everyone! That's a little more than I was thinking aha :/ does anyone know how much is an exhaust that sounds bit more throaty and does not decrease my hp or increase my fuel consumption! Here is a link to what I would like it to sound like! but with an exhaust haha :)http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Xc2D88Ul8Ks T