Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

Cheap re-shelled e39 m5

I`m confused. So this guy has transplanted full M5 running gear into a standard e39. I mean...why ? If I want a V8 in my car then I don`t try a transplant for obvious reasons.

I just buy a 540.If he`s done this and got it certified it must have cost him an arm and a leg to do it. I mean, what does an e39 M5 engine cost on it`s own ?

Or is this an M5 with a different body ( I don`t know how you guys can pick this up from the ad ??)

Its been mentioned previously in this thread that the donor M5 was damaged. The M5 was probably a writeoff, so instead of just giving up and buying a Honda he purchased a 525i and transplanted everything from the M5 into this shell. Its a hell of a lot of work, it'd be a looms and all sort of transplant. Being certified indicates that hes at least done it the legal way which is good.

FYI

Was done by prev owner who imported car to NZ from Sth Africa.
He found could not register in NZ as original had some body welding from accident in Sth Africa (which was ok over there and had passed by BMW and was on the road) , so after giving up fighting in NZ,then imported a 525i, stripped and sold bits, and moved entire M5 to 525 shell...
Sounds weird but he explained to me he did not want a new E39 body (no factory anti corrosion and other stuff), and given he was mechanic for WCC, could do cheaper and better this way to allow it to get registered in NZ.
Then found he could not register as a M5, as original car a 525.
I cld not believe a 525 body same as for M5, took to Jeff Grey BMW, who knew the car and said he was correct and then had them check it out .
Aside from rego, is indistinguishable from original M5 (was a 2000 model)
  • Like 1

M5's have a different boot floor/spare wheel well to all other E39s to accommodate the exhaust and this one appears to have the correct exhaust, so was the boot floor changed over as well…?? Swapping the mechanicals/electrics is dead easy, body shell work is a whole other level.

It's pretty much identical to mine, I'd still pay the difference in cost between the two to get the 'real' one any day - I guess that makes me one of those car anorak/nerds that Jeremy Clarkson likes to mock :)

• Like 1

There are some people who care about the authenticity of their semi classic or rare cars and some who just want the driving experience. Each to their own. That all being said .. When it comes to m series BMWs or cars in general in that price range .. Most buyers would be true enthusiasts and prefer a genuine m5.

Of course if the price reflects the reshell then I don't see any problem with it if the swap was done right. If I really wanted an e39 m5 and this car was the only one in my price range then I wouldn't have a problem with the authenticity! That's just me.

I see this car on a daily basis. My work car park is about to spots down from the his. It looks really tidy and the few times that I have spoken to the owner he seems like decent guy. Honest about the swap over and keeps it well maintained. I was quite tempted as it's the kind of car you could just drive and enjoy without worrying about putting miles on a "future classic" and annoying the purists. I decided against it as I don't really need three BMW V8s in my life at the moment.

Not sure where you got that info and what a "glued" oil pan if suppose to mean but if issues are found it you can use that to decrease the price even further if need be.

Hard to really judge the car without checking it out and driving it.

anyone interested in this... you might want to have a good look at the sump.

No. The M5 gear was out of a wrecked car. Saw it up on the hoist. Sump was cracked and glued together. In the shop to stop the oil that was leaking.

from here

• Like 1