Sign in to follow this  
BreakMyWindow

Cheap re-shelled e39 m5

Saw that. Wonder why it was reshelled. Also, the M5 badge placement bugs me. Like the colour though, and decent k's!

anyone interested in this... you might want to have a good look at the sump.

anyone interested in this... you might want to have a good look at the sump.

Care to elaborate? Do the M5 sumps not fit a non-M chassis? I do not that it was a 525 chassis which means it'd need all the crossmember and steering etc swapped too.

I too wonder what the reasoning was for the transplant, and what the original chassis code was.

Hmmm "Reshell"... or identity swap???

It appears to be a reshell, as all the options on the car match the options the original 525 came with (sunroof, no PDC etc).

Care to elaborate? Do the M5 sumps not fit a non-M chassis? I do not that it was a 525 chassis which means it'd need all the crossmember and steering etc swapped too.

I too wonder what the reasoning was for the transplant, and what the original chassis code was.

No. The M5 gear was out of a wrecked car. Saw it up on the hoist. Sump was cracked and glued together. In the shop to stop the oil that was leaking.

No. The M5 gear was out of a wrecked car. Saw it up on the hoist. Sump was cracked and glued together. In the shop to stop the oil that was leaking.

Still pretty good buying at that price imo.

Good second hand upper oil pan's (The one I presume that is cracked, as the lower oil pan is not overly expensive) do come up on ebay.co.uk for a decent price.

Still pretty good buying at that price imo.

Good second hand upper oil pan's (The one I presume that is cracked, as the lower oil pan is not overly expensive) do come up on ebay.co.uk for a decent price.

It's a tough call. I'm sure it would be fine enough to drive, but the whole appeal with M cars, apart from the usual, is their provenance. Once the car loses its integrity and originality, it becomes compromised.

As long as its priced accordingly .. The seller should have mentioned it though

As long as its priced accordingly .. The seller should have mentioned it though

Definitely. Really what it is is an E39 with M5 running gear. Not a bad thing in its own right. But not an M5.

Why has it got lvv cert? Probably to do with the power increase over stock, whatever it was! Anyone know what it is registered as?

It's a tough call. I'm sure it would be fine enough to drive, but the whole appeal with M cars, apart from the usual, is their provenance. Once the car loses its integrity and originality, it becomes compromised.

Yet everyone is happy to reshell an M3 O_o

Why has it got lvv cert? Probably to do with the power increase over stock, whatever it was! Anyone know what it is registered as?

Because its an M5 in 525i pants.

Yet everyone is happy to reshell an M3 O_o

Because its an M5 in 525i pants.

Yikes I wouldn't want to own a reshelled anything.

For people who dont care its a very good value for money M5. If everything has been done properly and its good working order then i wouldnt have a problem with it. Probably easier to sell than most M5's due to the price.

And to think, the silverstone M5 that was on trademe a while back for 22k took ages to sell, and that was genuine. I know this will get snapped up soon because its "cheap" due to lack of a better option, but imo i cant help but feel that its overpriced considering its not really a genuine M5.

And to think, the silverstone M5 that was on trademe a while back for 22k took ages to sell, and that was genuine. I know this will get snapped up soon because its "cheap" due to lack of a better option, but imo i cant help but feel that its overpriced considering its not really a genuine M5.

It didn't sell because the motor had a knock. And the rod bearings failed soon after it was sold.

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/50544-s62-wanted/

Edited by Driftracewake

For people who dont care its a very good value for money M5. If everything has been done properly and its good working order then i wouldnt have a problem with it. Probably easier to sell than most M5's due to the price.

i would think that an oil pan that has been "glued" indicates that the rest of the job has not been done properly though?

Edited by kiwi535

Not sure where you got that info and what a "glued" oil pan if suppose to mean but if issues are found it you can use that to decrease the price even further if need be.

Hard to really judge the car without checking it out and driving it.

I can't find any documentation that suggests the m5 monocoque is more rigid then any other e39 sedan. So long as all running gear, trims and other gadgets have been transferred over this is technically a hand built e39 m5.

i see no problem, im used to engine swapped cars, yes there will undoubtably be some nigly electrical gremlins there always is. But priced accordingly, would take this over a 540i/6 any day (not saying i wouldnt take a 540i/6!!), and pricing is not a big jump from that point either.

• Like 1